• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Contour GPS Run Times??

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Question?

I just got a new Contour GPS camera.
Yesterday I took it out and ran it till it stopped.

I got 4 clips of
5 Minutes, 24 seconds
6 minutes 36 seconds
11 minutes 50 seconds
5 minutes 53 seconds

then I got
5 seconds
37 seconds with a shut off
7 seconds with a full power down.

For a grand total of 30 minutes of recording time.

Does that seem mighty SHORT for a brand new battery with a full charge in 28 degree temps ???

C

cortez

Feb 12, 2009
sure does. my buddy just had a very similar experience with his brand new non-gps model.. Seems far to short to me

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
did you leave it on between filming?

What was the total time of "on" time including standby?

Not familiar with this unit...but with the GPS could it be running at a higher rate of battery usage when in standby mode?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Turns out the GPS function is a battery KILLER.

the 2nd trip out I did a manual shut down of the camera between shots and the battery live shot WAY UP.

The GPS feature is cool, no doubt about it, but I would probably give it up to have better battery life over the course of a day. As it is now, I will just start packing more batteries.

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
I just don't see the need to have the camera on and in stanby mode for the whole day.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I suppose there really isn't one other than in an instant you can turn it on to capture something that is happening or just about to happen in near real time without having to press and hold the power switch to get it powered up before you turn the recording on.

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
I usually leave mine in the pack until we get to an area we are going to ride in. Then pull it out for the rest of the day. But still power it on and off between play areas.

I have never run out of battery in a days ride. And capture quite a bit of usable footage.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Thanks.
I am still learning my way around this little device.
Got VASTLY more duration out of it last weekend.
And this weekend I will turn down the resolution and see how much more time I get from that.

Do you run in 60fps or just 30fps?

Some of the images I see don't seem as smooth as they should, but I am not sure if it's my video system on the PC, or the recoding itself.

undergroundrmk

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Craig, Colorado
Hey Tudizzle! Looking at getting the GPS model, but is it really worth the hundred extra? Watched a lot of your vids they seem to have turned out great! Just asking for opinions! And what size card do you use? Sorry for all the questions, been talking to Zackcreek on here and am going to get one but not sure if I should get the GPS or the standard this is all new so just looking for info from you guys that use them!Thanks in advance Jim!

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
If I was in the market for a new POV the Contour GPS would be the one for me.

If for the ability to view it real time with a smart phone app alone

The only downfall to most of these smaller units is no view finder. With the same app you will be able to adjust/dial in your settings for the current lighting conditions.

I use 1 battery and a 16g card.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
usually 60fps 720 wide

but also 960 tall
Thanks.
Will give that a try this weekend and see how the videos change.

Next Question.

What are you using for EDITING.

I have Adobe Premier, but to be honest, its a bear to use for something that ought to be simple like building fun short video clips for friends and family to watch.

M
Dec 12, 2010
Marysville, Wa
Contour comes with it's own editing software. Not too bad and fairly easy to use.
http://contour.com/software/storyteller

The only downfall that I have found with the Contour (not just GPS model) is their mounting system for MX style helmets is limited. They do not have a curved type mount that fits well. They have what they call a 'profile' mount that ALMOST works fine. I still have problems with the end peeling up off the helmet. I've seen numerous posts in thier forum with replies from contour saying they are working on them. Hmmmmm. Been awhile.
But with that aside, you'll like the GPS model. Great for finding out your elevations, speeds and tracks.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I have mine mounted on the side of my helmet.
So far so good.

As for the software that came with it.
NOT impressed
Definitely looking for something a bit nicer.

Feb 19, 2011
I am also interested in what people are using for editing software. There are a few products for around 50 bux that seem like they would be simple and do the job...Corel VideoStudio pro x3, cyberlink powerdirector, and magix movie edit pro are a few of them, I just havent used any of them so I'm looking for some feedback as well. any body used them?

christopher - I got my Contour gps out this weekend and got decent battery life keeping it in standby and just recording the area/shots that I thought would be cool on the playback. I would just turn it completely off and back on to make it last longer but that power button has to be pushed kind of hard and I can only do it without gloves on, the rec slide is nice when the gloves are on, and sure is convenient.

So far, I love the gps unit! The android/iphone app to come soon is a great idea as well...only one problem, I have a blackberry, haha. If Contour could build a handheld device of their own, with a screen/viewfinder to view/delete clips, and that would allow you to change your shot settings on the go via bluetooth, then they would have one of the best helmet camera packages avaliable! ...Are you listening Contour? As it stands though it is a great camera with awesome features, very happy.

Premium Features