• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

rewind starter

1998summitx670

Jan 12, 2008
Omaha, NE
Anyone know how to replace a rewind starter on my 1998 skidoo summit x 670? It wasn't engaging all the time so I took apart and the recoil spring uncoiled... probably should of let someone else fix this but I thought I could do it. The plastic rope sheave had a piece broken off where the recoild spring catches, so I think I need a new one of those (and probably a new spring now unless it can be recoiled). Anyways... you get the idea. Someone want to tell me how to put this back together? How tough of a job is this? I was thinking about taking it to the dealer but thought I would try here first since this is my backup sled and didn't want to dump a ton of money into it. Let me know if you can help.

Thanks guys! Winter is here early!!!

E
Dec 8, 2008
Chelan area
Not really sure actually, i think mine fell apart and if im correct you have to wind it back up and try to tuck it back in. My pull start coil (the whole mechanism) broke like 3 times in about a week. I found out that ski doo DOES sell and aftermarket replacement that is not only lighter, easyer to install and NEVER breaks, but i think its somewhat affordable (like under $100). Its helld on with 4 bolts on each point enstead of the circular ring, and is made of a hard plastic composit so its very strong. Ive had it on my sled for over a year now and have NEVER had any problems with it. My old rewind starter (the stock one) sometimes didnt recoil and the rope would always break. I HIGHLY recommened getting it, so you can dont have to worry about it. Just my 0.2... PM with any questions.

1998summitx670

Jan 12, 2008
Omaha, NE
Thanks!

Do you know where to purchase one of these aftermarket pull starts? My skidoo service manager isn't back in the office for a couple days.

T

Thunderguy BOOSTED

Oct 5, 2008
Bc Canada
I would say your dealer ship is your best bet!! I Have one on my 740 UB and have never broke a rope!!

It cost me $150:cool:

just my 2cents worth!!:D:D

T
Nov 28, 2007
Burlington WI
the center post was broke out of my 670, i remove the adaptor and replaced it with the adaptor for the Series-3 engines, and used the factory plastic rewind
(this will work on the triple tooo.... talk about an easy pull!!!)

T

Thunderguy BOOSTED

Oct 5, 2008
Bc Canada
ill try and get some for you!!
Why wont my rewind engage? one pull it will do nothing and then the next it well grab half why out!!:confused::confused:

WTH?

TG

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
Thunder, are you sure you have enough cord? I was having that prob and come to find out I didn`t have enough rope left and when I pulled the rope it wouldn`t tighten the recoil enough to pull it all back in. I ended up buying about 6ft of cord are wound if all in there and works great now, I also hand the gear and ecentric mechanism in the middle of the pull starter was greasy, you can`t have any oil or grease on that part it should be dry and move freely.

Or the recoil spring is weak.

Thanks for the pics, will get me one of those.

Good Luck, Wildcard28

T

Thunderguy BOOSTED

Oct 5, 2008
Bc Canada
Thunder, are you sure you have enough cord? I was having that prob and come to find out I didn`t have enough rope left and when I pulled the rope it wouldn`t tighten the recoil enough to pull it all back in. I ended up buying about 6ft of cord are wound if all in there and works great now, I also hand the gear and ecentric mechanism in the middle of the pull starter was greasy, you can`t have any oil or grease on that part it should be dry and move freely.

Or the recoil spring is weak.

Thanks for the pics, will get me one of those.

Good Luck, Wildcard28

Thanks!!
My rope is a little short but.......... ill get a new rope!!
And there was a little grease on it!!

TG

D
Apr 19, 2009
Anchorage
Rewind spring.

You have to start with the outside hook of the spring. Hold the hook in the appropriate housing slot and begin stuffing it back in. After you get two or three wraps into the housing you no longer have to hold the hook but must follow the spring around with your other hand. Once it's all back in it will stay there. Be prepared! Once you start, there is no taking a break until it's all back in. The book has a good illustration of what I'm describing.

T

Thunderguy BOOSTED

Oct 5, 2008
Bc Canada
You have to start with the outside hook of the spring. Hold the hook in the appropriate housing slot and begin stuffing it back in. After you get two or three wraps into the housing you no longer have to hold the hook but must follow the spring around with your other hand. Once it's all back in it will stay there. Be prepared! Once you start, there is no taking a break until it's all back in. The book has a good illustration of what I'm describing.

I have done this a few times!! LOL No a fun thing to do!!
i always raped it up and then tryed to put it back in!!:face-icon-small-dis
Be the time your done your hands are shaking!! LOL

J

This is the way I did it. It's a PITA but can be done. Have a buddy there in case your hands cramp up, then he/she can hold the spring in place while you uncramp.

T

Thunderguy BOOSTED

Oct 5, 2008
Bc Canada
Please help guys!!
The ****ing rewind on my 740 UB wont work! You get one pull and then nothing!!
Any one know where i could find a break down of it? I replaced almost all the parts in that thing but dad still thinks iam missing a piece!!

THX!!

T

Thunderguy BOOSTED

Oct 5, 2008
Bc Canada
Do you have a picture of how your pull cord is routed up to the handle? Does it go over or under the chain case?

DONT BUY ONE OF THOSE LIGHT WEIGHT ONES!~! I took mine off finely because i broke the rope on my way up the mountain and dad had to tow me back to the river!! Ran home took the rewind off of my bros 500 and have not had any problems since!! I replaced every part in that thing in december and it still wont work!!!

Id say they are total junk!!!

Premium Features