• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

98 powder special bogging problem

R
Dec 1, 2009
hey guys, i have had this problem with a sled i've had for awhile but never been able to use, and it's back to that time of year!

so here it it. symptoms are start and idle great, but as soon as it is given throttle it bogs and dies out. but if you manage to get it past 5000 rpm it'll run at full power.

so far the stator, tps and tss all seem good, but it looks like the cpu is a 2001 or newer "circle" model, kicker being the previous owner put in the apv servo and "square" injectors (circle cpu).

here's a few questions i have

1. this servo is useless i assume (sled has a non apv motor), but will it affect anything being plugged in or unplugged for that matter?
2. being a apv cpu, will this cpu even work on a non apv motor?
3. all i've heard here is you can't mix injectors and cpu's, but a A-C mech i talked to said he thought you could, but he also works mainly on new sleds. what is your thought on this?
4. the cpu is flashing code 6. this does not exist on a 98, but any clues what it might be on a 2001 and newer?

any ideas or comments you guys have are welcome
thanks for looking

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
I think you need to get a box that is made for that sled. I'm supprised the wires plug in right! I guess you could try unpluging the tors and see if it helps. Thats the little plunger switch at the thumb-flipper.

R
Dec 1, 2009
ya i'm kinda surprised too, but she starts fine. i'm not really sure what the tors is, but if that the safety switch in the throttle, then she's bypassed, so not the culprit today. thanks for giving a shout. i'm welcome to any other ideas you may have

kevinhoglund

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Stanwood, Wa
Bogging Problem

I just pu a 98 ps 600efi from a friend and he said it starts fine but when you give it gas is boggs. When it arived at my shop i started it up and it ran. I didn't rev it up because it had old gas in the tank. I asume that is the culprit but I have just torn it down to fix every thing wrong with it, When i get it back to together and running I will see. Check gas, fuel pump, Injectors, air box. Pull stuff apart and clean. That has worked in the past for me. The gas now a days only is good for a couple of weeks.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
I just pu a 98 ps 600efi from a friend and he said it starts fine but when you give it gas is boggs. When it arived at my shop i started it up and it ran. I didn't rev it up because it had old gas in the tank. I asume that is the culprit but I have just torn it down to fix every thing wrong with it, When i get it back to together and running I will see. Check gas, fuel pump, Injectors, air box. Pull stuff apart and clean. That has worked in the past for me. The gas now a days only is good for a couple of weeks.

The old fuel could be the problem, although I don't see why it would work at idle and full throttle and not midrange. With a carbed sled it would make sense because you are running on different jets at different speeds, but the efi should be fed all though the throttle range. We had a carbed one last year that took two full tanks of fuel with seafoam in, to finally clean up and run right.

Y
Nov 25, 2009
Spearfish SD
I rode a 2000 ps 600efi. did the exact same thing. i havent figured it out yet, i herd it could be some wire in my kill switch to some vaulve.. if you figure it out please let me know so i know what to fix on mine

R
Dec 1, 2009

i changed the gas, but didn't fill it up. better drain it again to be safe and fill it right up just in case it's a bad line in the tank.

with yours unplug your kill switch, if it runs fine after that it's a throttle safety switch. this is the problem 90% of the time

thanks kevinhoglund

R
Dec 1, 2009
I rode a 2000 ps 600efi. did the exact same thing. i havent figured it out yet, i herd it could be some wire in my kill switch to some vaulve.. if you figure it out please let me know so i know what to fix on mine

unplug your kill switch, if it runs good after that, it's a safety switch in your throttle gone bad. downside if you leave it unplugged it will run great, but you won't have a kill switch.
solution: snip the wire that doesn't run to your kill switch (2 go to the kill switch, one to the safety switch) just remember this safety switch is there in case your throttle freezes on (will shutdown the motor), so be careful

Y
Nov 25, 2009
Spearfish SD
unplug your kill switch, if it runs good after that, it's a safety switch in your throttle gone bad. downside if you leave it unplugged it will run great, but you won't have a kill switch.
solution: snip the wire that doesn't run to your kill switch (2 go to the kill switch, one to the safety switch) just remember this safety switch is there in case your throttle freezes on (will shutdown the motor), so be careful

Alright thank you, ill try it. its my step dads sled so im sure he would be happy if i fixed it for him

Feb 15, 2008
I had a 98' powder specail that had the same problem. Replaced a lot of things. Even the ecu. But it ended up being the low speed coil on the stator. You can check the ohm resistence on the coils. Ran pretty decent after that but it had twins and a chip in the ecu which never seemed to run 100% in the midrange but made going down that trail at 4000rpm much nicer.

Premium Features