• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cold start riding hesitation/bucking

E
Dec 8, 2008
Chelan area
Just officially rode my sled on saturday, starts up great and runs amazing after its warm. But when i give it gas (when cold) to pull away it goes and then completely cuts out like its going to die then acts fine again. Its EXACTLY like doing 5-10mph, pulling the teather off (kill switch), then putting it back on again before it shuts off, it does it for a couple minutes untill i juice er up and ride it good to get it warm, then shes beautifull. Any ide'ers??? I replaced the spark plug wires CAPS last year, and have 60 miles on new plugs. hmmm :confused: Thanks yall! Oh ya, it did this last year too, i cant remember if it stopped when i got new caps or not...

Last edited:
S

Skidoohmx

Nov 26, 2007
Deary, Idaho
Make sure you run solid cap spark plugs, not the ones with the screw on type. This was a common problem on 98-99 X's. Usually you had to also change the spark plug wire caps. Good Luck.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Let it warm up a bit before you ride it....just the nature of a 2-stroke act that way until warmed up a bit.

S

sledsrock

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Co.
Im using BR9ES plugs, im gonna try to get new caps aswell. Do i have a choice with the BR9ES's???

Yes, you have a choice with the BR9ES's. You can get them with the screw on tops (aluminum) or solid tops (steel). I actually had a dealer tell me there was no such thing as the solid tops, he was getting upset at me when I assured him there was..........then their top parts guy walks out of the back room to see what was going on.........well low and behold he went in the back room and brought out what I needed.....LOL!

E
Dec 8, 2008
Chelan area
Aw, thanks guys. im going to keep a spare pair of wire caps and my dealer said the only plugs they carry are the solids (which i got there). I'll let er warm up real good before i go tearin out.

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
Sorry I can`t help ya with your problem but there are plenty on here that
can.
I Hope you get the problem solved Garrett, I am having a cdi problem with my sled now, very frustratin.

Good Luck, Wildcard28

E
Dec 8, 2008
Chelan area
I never ride my sled untill it's warm. Good way to do piston damage if you do

Ya, i mean, i never fire it up and tear off, i always let it sit atleast a good minute or so, she likes to overheat sometimes, so my #1 priority is keeping er cool. How long does it take our sleds to heat up good AND how long does it take to overheat them AT IDLE???

E
Dec 8, 2008
Chelan area
at -10c my sled will take forever to overheat. It all depends on engine. The S chassis coolers are really good. I just ran my sled for 20 min this morning, idling, and only got to 114*f

Wow, it only seemed to overheat on the harpack trail before i got scratchers. How did you check your temp? My dads 03, 800 poopoo has a little tint cooler on the extension, mabey 8"x12", thought it was amazingly small for the sled, compared to ours that run on both sides from front to back.

About $80 US but they need 12v DC. only the Elec start Sleds had DC. the rest were AC. You need a rectifier/voltage regulator to supply the gauge with 12v DC. Just putting a bridge rectifier on will make 18-19Vdc. To high for the gauge..

Gauges found here
http://www.cyberdynegauges.net/products.php\

I bought from Egauges
http://egauges.com/Cyb_main.asp?gclid=CPDrpsqdu54CFSn6agodZzxglQ

Now, I had a friend build me a rectifier/regulator, but oyu can find them at radio shack, I think KOSO makes one as well??

E
Dec 8, 2008
Chelan area
About $80 US but they need 12v DC. only the Elec start Sleds had DC. the rest were AC. You need a rectifier/voltage regulator to supply the gauge with 12v DC. Just putting a bridge rectifier on will make 18-19Vdc. To high for the gauge..

Gauges found here
http://www.cyberdynegauges.net/products.php\

I bought from Egauges
http://egauges.com/Cyb_main.asp?gclid=CPDrpsqdu54CFSn6agodZzxglQ

Now, I had a friend build me a rectifier/regulator, but oyu can find them at radio shack, I think KOSO makes one as well??

Ohhh, cool.

Premium Features