• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need help w/backfiring '98 EFI powder special

D
Nov 27, 2007
This sled has always run great, now I have a backfiring/boggging problem. I have checked the usual suspects, throttle safety switch, fresh gas, plugs, etc. It will run fine for awhile then start bogging and backfiring, it doesn't seem fuel related, it acts like a bad safety switch but I've bypassed it and there is no difference. The sled is stock except for a chip and pipe. Ideas anyone...?

C

cowkiller

Nov 26, 2007
Eugene Or.
I had exactly the same issue with an old 99 500 powder special. It was the neutral saftey switch. If you are sure you bypassed it then my next thing would be put the stock chip back in. if not that your little black box has probably died. Bummer!

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
you have moistier in your computer box. Mine did the same thing till i got the water out of the computer.

arcticridr

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 11, 2003
Redding Ca
Check where the chip plugs in, if their is any white looking residue means moisture , get some QD electric cleaner and spray it down just for s&g may be your problem!!! Also check your connections and spray them even if they look good, if that year has a TPS check connections their as well !!! Use only QD as brake clean will eat the plastic!!!

M
Sep 19, 2008
Green River Wyoming
so if the red light blinks the ecu is good. Im trying to get a buddys 98 ps 600 efi runnining it will start but run real rough and it is back fireing out the throtle bodies and exaust had the local arctic cat dealer set the tps and now I dont know what the problem is ecu stater or maybe injecters any help would be appreciated

Premium Features