• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Which would you choose?

N
Nov 21, 2016
Hey guys. New to the forum, but have gained a wealth of information reading through the archives. I'm based in the mountains of Colorado and looking to get my first snowmobiles. Here's my question: as a pair, would you go with a pair of 2008 Polaris 600 RMK's (one with 144 track and one with 153) or a 2009 Arctic Cat M8 162 and a 2006 M7 153. All sleds have under 2,000 miles and I am primarily interested in backcountry ski access and some powder riding in mellow to moderate terrain. The larger sled would be for me and the second sled would be for my wife or friends without sleds. My primary criteria/concerns are reliability and ease of use in mountain terrain. Any guidance would be great appreciated!

Yaeger34

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2015
St cloud mn
I would go with the arctic cats actually. It all depends on price but they should be more reliable and just all around better for what you are looking for.

manlye

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2009
Arctic Cat all the way much better sled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T
Nov 14, 2016
Idaho
i'm partial to Polaris anyway, and would go with the 600s. if it hasnt been done already, you can make a few upgrades to give you more hp (ie. slp pipe and can). 600 would be a good sled for your wife and any others that are new to riding. good luck to you and hope you get some good sleds however you decide. :)

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I don't think the AC's are "much better" sleds. I'm currently riding a Polaris but I see that the M sleds were good sleds. The 600 Polaris sleds were really reliable and had great mods if you want them (check out the 660 kit from Carl's!). I think it comes down to what condition they are all in and the price you are paying. If you are not the type of guy to really dabble into your own maintenance, then a dealer could be important too. Keep in mind that the M7 does not have reverse (double check that, but I think that is true). Not a big deal unless you have to back up on your trailer and/or garage. If one of these sleds is for your wife, she will likely enjoy the sit down height on the Polaris 600, it has a higher ride than the M's do. The M's do have a great boondocking style to them. Some AC guys still like them better than the new Pro Climb's!

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Cat all the way, you will very quickly outgrow the 600 and be wishing you had spent the extra grand instead of having to buy another sled. Flatspeed on here makes a push button reverse kit for the M7 and if you want a taller seat you can pick up a 10-11 Arctic Cat seat very cheap. I have owned all brands and not brand loyal to any.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Checkout the tracks. One is ten years old and the others not far behind. Another concern would be is where have they been stored all this time. In the woods or in a field covered, uncovered or inside?. Open the hood and storage compartments and look for signs of mice or any other critters that may have call it home. I don't know if it has diamond drive but my die hard Arctic Cat buddy jumped ship to Ski-Doo back then because he had so much trouble with the diamond drive. In all the years I have been riding I have never had a problem with any part of the drive train on a Polaris. The M8 will spank the 600 in power but bring an extra gas can because they are gas hogs. Insurance may be another concern. My agent told me once a sled gets over 750 cc it's considered high performance. $.02

BigT

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sequim, WA
My opinion-I have a 10' M8 and a 06' Poo 600 in the garage. Both are great sleds. Both are very reliable. Both are FUN to ride. Haven't ridden a M7 but hear they are fun as well. Don't think you can go wrong with either combo. Reverse would tip the scale for me as my wife loves the reverse. I occasionally use it but she uses reverse often.
Again, just my opinion!

BigT

Premium Features