• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

WE Clicker Shafts

LongHorn XC

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Illinois
Anyone else notice that the upgrade for $400 has 1/2 shafts instead of 5/8 like MY15 models that had the free upgrade. I would have thought for the extra $400 they could have had the 5/8" shafts. Won't do that again.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I was surprised to see that as well.

Only the AXYS Assault RMK in the mountain line-up get the 5/8" shaft with the needle.
Even the "heavy duty" SKS model gets the 1/2" shaft this year... kind of disappointing to see.

A remote "clicker" shock needs to have fluid moving past the compression adjustment circuit. The more fluid moving the better the control of compression. A 1/2" shaft displaces less fluid (moves less fluid in the shock) than the 5/8" so the effect of the clicker will be less on a 1/2" shock shaft model.... as well as the 5/8 shaft holding up to abuse a bit better, though the fluid control with the remote resi is more significant factor IMO.

Last edited:

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
Also did anyone notice that the springs are way shorter on the AXYS vs the Pro on the front shocks?! I was going to throw on my Raptor springs from my Pro onto the AXYS but saw the huge difference and held off. I guess they would be lighter?

T
Oct 10, 2001
Spokane WA
Also did anyone notice that the springs are way shorter on the AXYS vs the Pro on the front shocks?! I was going to throw on my Raptor springs from my Pro onto the AXYS but saw the huge difference and held off. I guess they would be lighter?

I called Raptor and they told me the springs they sell are the same for the Pro and the Axys.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Anyone else notice that the upgrade for $400 has 1/2 shafts instead of 5/8 like MY15 models that had the free upgrade. I would have thought for the extra $400 they could have had the 5/8" shafts. Won't do that again.

Interesting observation that I didn't see. But how do you figure you got anything for free? Didn't the 2015 models with those shocks have to be Terrain Dominators (and more mula than the regular models)?

LongHorn XC

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Illinois
Interesting observation that I didn't see. But how do you figure you got anything for free? Didn't the 2015 models with those shocks have to be Terrain Dominators (and more mula than the regular models)?

15 snowchecks had a fee upgrade from the mono to the clickers.

klpilot

Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2008
seattle
Yeah I was really bummed too. I thought they were the needle shock... Actually it wasn't until I went to the snow show that I noticed they weren't. I think only the Assault gets the needle shock. I guess we'll see if they hold up...

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Can you elaborate on how a the difference in shaft diameter effects the amount of oil being moved?

The piston is what the oil flows through, which is stuck to the end of the shaft. Seems like a bigger shaft would just take up volume so there would actually be less room for oil.

I'm guessing that Poo spec'd the 1/2" because it was lighter...and I thought the 5/8" was simply stronger--not any different in performance.

It's fairly simple... the larger shaft takes up more volume as you push it into the shock and displaces more fluid for a given stroke.

This is the reason for the IFP.... It allows that displaced fluid go somewhere.

Hope that helps.

attachment.php

klpilot

Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2008
seattle
Plus it's a totally different valving concept. These shocks don't have the needle design to help bottoming. These are "more plush" for the less aggressive rider. I will ride them to compare before I get too disappointed though.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
Well it it is anything like the REV 440X racer I had with 5/8" shafts I welcome the change to 1/2" That sled was so stiff if you weren't casing a tripple or dropping off a huge cornice the shocks would not move. The sled beat you to death. It took 2 valvings to finally soften it up.

Premium Features