• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ice on intake tube

R

realbass

Feb 3, 2009
Russia, Krasnoyarsk
Love you Poo! You are awesome!

830b96c744eb.jpg

Last edited:
B

BallsDeep_5280

Oct 16, 2012
CO
I had something like that going on last week in 4 feet of fresh. Ruined part of my day... BRAAAAAAAP!!!! Brrrrp... brrp... rrrrrrrrrrrrrrr... Stuck at 4500 rpms on and off throughout the afternoon. Any ideas on how to prevent this, other than the obvious "clean the snow off the intakes every chance you get"?

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
I noticed on a few Pro's here ( 2014's) that the sealing foam around the snorkle ( Male part attached to you hood) has the seam in the forward position and when placing the hood on this seams gets rolled upward and not providing a good seal ( if any) allowing snow to gather in that area ( forward ) as in your picture.

I removed the seam area that Polaris didn't seal well / sprayed 3M adhesive behind the foam and let it get tacky replaced the foam and no issues thus far.

Just a bit of attention need to be noted when placing the hood back in place to ensure a seal - as it does pivot front to back for alignment.

S/C

Last edited:
D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
^ nailed it. You can't just throw the hood on the pro... it's a combo of getting the two rear tabs in place, while ensuring the upper plenum tube seats into the hood opening properly.
With that much snow ingestion I would be very concerned with the pistons, and wanting to at least look through exhaust ports to check for scrub marks on the pistons. It doesn't take much water to clean the oil off the cylinders.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Both my 14 and 13 had sloppy foam tape on the hood snorkel male OEM compared to the 11. You'd hope they'd be abit more careful on a deep snow build.

It can also get torn loose, or ripped up, with quick or rough hood installs. Treat it like it's the first time. X2 on the water ingestion.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
I noticed on a few Pro's here ( 2014's) that the sealing foam around the snorkle ( Male part attached to you hood) has the seam in the forward position and when placing the hood on this seams gets rolled upward and not providing a good seal ( if any) allowing snow to gather in that area ( forward ) as in your picture.

I removed the seam area that Polaris didn't seal well / sprayed 3M adhesive behind the foam and let it get tacky replaced the foam and no issues thus far.

Just a bit of attention need to be noted when placing the hood back in place to ensure a seal - as it does pivot front to back for alignment.

S/C

This is very good advice.
I replace my seals every year, cheap insurance. I replace the seal for the clutch side panel also. Available right from PI.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
I just cut a square donut out of 1/2" foam and slip it on for that spot. My bigger leaks came from the plenum to hood seal (particularly right where the steering post is), as well as small leaks at the screen to hood spots and the two halves of the airbox will not seal with just 4 clips unless you install a thin foam tape around the perimeter.

Lol. Before you start crying a river though, I've never owned a sled that was sealed stock. Ever. You may not have noticed it before but they all leak someplace after the shakes, rattle and roll.

I learned the first time my Phazer carbs froze, while pinned across a meadow luckily, that sleds are not like dirt bikes (lot of those leaked for me too just showed up quicker lol) but the motors still like clean air and snow dust is not clean air for a 2 stroke.
Why do you think they heat the throttle bodies or carbs since liquid cooling. It's not to keep the fuel warm for you.

M-sleds all leak at the airbox to throttlebody rubber and up at the headlight intake area on both sides. All of them (had 7). PC's, oh well, where to start, only had one. Rev's, you better start at the side panel and go in from there.
XM's, Summits, V-max's, Exciters, Phazers,,,, each had a spot or five to seal up. Snow dust is worse than belt dust in my motors.
I like to prep my air intake system on my sleds like it's going to be submerged in water. Basically prepping to have fun on the best of days. Over the hood in snow is just like riding under water with a snorkle once it reaches the motor area.

Part of my "must do" list on a new to me sleds. List grows with experiences (that suxs lol). A useful tool is a 1157 bulb on wires dropped into places (then turn down the lights lol). Another useful tool is common sense and carefull attention to detail.

OK that's my "seal the intake" preach for the season lol.

Last edited:
Premium Features