• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

To rebuild or not to rebuild - 06 Rev 800HO

P

phillybean

Feb 4, 2012
Kelowna BC
I have a 06 Rev 800 X with a 800HO engine. I bought it for $5500 last year, it has a big wheel kit, new track, new tunnel suspension, after market clutch and pipe. It's a great sled which runs great, but will have around 3800 miles by the end of the season. The engine is stock and not even the top end has been rebuilt (bought sled at 2900 miles).

My question is what to do, rebuild the top end, top & bottom, put in a new engine, sell the sled and get something with fewer miles or ride it until it goes? Money is a bit of an issue as the wife wasn't happen I bought it at all and dropping a few more grand into wouldn't help matters. I'm also pretty new with this and don't know a lot about sleds in general.

Thanks

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Or keep your eye open for a good low mileage sled that is being parted out or sold with a wrecked chassis. I am amazed at how many 3-6 year old sleds I see for sale with less than 500 miles. I just bought a trailer from a guy and he had 4 Polaris sleds from 2006-2008 and none of them had more than 500 miles. You might get lucky.

M
Dec 6, 2010
Ogden UT
I would sale it or rebuild top and bottom end, reason being that at about 4000 miles the cranks are very known to go out and when this happens in most cases including mine it will wipe out your cylinder and head on the pto side, causing an expensive fix.. another option would be to buy a BRP short block with your motor as a core for around $1500 (fastest and probably most reliable way) my .02 from experiance

Z
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula MT
correct me if i am wrong here but as long as your core is not damaged isnt a long block like 1900 bucks??? throw a motor in it and call it good, then you have a sled you know the history on, know works good, and has a brand new motor. Any used sled is always going to be a big ? Just my 2 cents. i wouldnt just top end it for the above mentioned cranks becoming an issue with that many miles. not to mention good luck spending less than the price of a motor to upgrade sleds.

M
Dec 6, 2010
Ogden UT
correct me if i am wrong here but as long as your core is not damaged isnt a long block like 1900 bucks???

Short block = motor w/out head if your head is still good you save the 4-500 bucks and use your head

with all said go with a new motor and ride the hell out of it for another 4000 miles, in the end it will save you alot of time and money!!!

D
Dec 11, 2008
Livingston MT
correct me if i am wrong here but as long as your core is not damaged isnt a long block like 1900 bucks???

Short block = motor w/out head if your head is still good you save the 4-500 bucks and use your head

with all said go with a new motor and ride the hell out of it for another 4000 miles, in the end it will save you alot of time and money!!!

I agree. When you buy used stuff you just never know. And revs are pretty hard to sell these days let alone get anything for them. That's why most people part them out now. Put a motor in it and go.

P

phillybean

Feb 4, 2012
Kelowna BC
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to keep it and rebuild/replace engine.

Being in Canada and not being that Snowmobile Mechanically Inclined, a new short block from the dealer would be 4200 bucks with a 700 dollar core refund. I'm looking into getting the existing one rebuilt including having the crank re done for around 2200.

P

phillybean

Feb 4, 2012
Kelowna BC
I'm in Kelowna BC.

I think what I'm going to do is have the current engine rebuilt and change the heads at the same time. I was quoted $1500 in parts and 6-8 hours labor at 80 bucks an hour so I think it's a good deal.

I got a couple buddies here that have offered help to swap the engine, but I'm not sure if I want to take the chance or not. For 700 bucks, I'd rather have the peace of mind of someone else do it.

On a possibly related note, today when I rode it made some squealing noises after I adjusted the clutch/belt, idled rough for most of the day and topped off at 7300 rpm. But I got the sled up to 80mph where it wouldn't get past 73 last time.

C
Apr 28, 2008
spokane wa
do it yourself I just rebuilt my entire engine from home, (crank complete rebuild, cylinders replate, new pistons), I came in under a grand, there is nothing to be afraid of in these engines once you pull it off you will see how simple it is, and you learn alot about your sled and how things work

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2008
Honestly I would NOT dump more than a couple hundred bucks for new pistons for that machine. Split the cases and repack the crank bearings with ISO FLEX grease. You will never get the money you put into that sled back out unless you really love the REV chassis.

As far as not pulling RPM and squealing you have your belt deflection too tight or your belt is slipping. Also i would highly recommend rebuilding or cleaning your clutches if you haven't. You also may need to adjust the clickers depending on elevation.

S
Dec 19, 2013
I would get "bearing Buddies" see link....http://altimategear.com/shop/ski-doo-pto-bearing-buddy/ and utilize them to get fresh grease into your main bearings. Give your cylinders a hone job and put some new dual ring pistons and rings in a call it good. I did the "drop In" kit from RK Tec , good pistons and a way better head setup, better gas mileage and more power. http://www.2strokeheads.com/drop-in.htm For less than a grand you have a reliable engine, and you can do it yourself.

Premium Features