• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gloves ?

A

aksnomachinechic

Nov 11, 2006
Gr8st Plce; ALASKA!
www.facebook.com
I am looking at purchasing a good pair of gloves and am inquiring about what you wear and what you like about your gloves, or mittens. Also I would like to know what the coldest temp is that you have ridden in and did they hold up to the cold?

Thanks in advance for your input!!

E

EagleRiverDee

Dec 15, 2009
Eagle River, Alaska
My old gloves are wearing out so I just bought a pair of Black Diamonds. They're rated to 0F but I wore them Friday riding in -17F and they kept my hands warm. I was using my handwarmers but I don't have gauntlets or handguards. I did fine when we stopped for our breaks and shut the machines off. I like that they have a full leather palm and that the forefinger has leather too- I'm hoping they hold up to sledding.

P
Jan 8, 2008
aK
A good pair of gauntlets will do you wonders. I run the ones that are manufactured/sewn in Skwentna. I put them on at the begining of the season and roll them up when its warm and unroll them for long rides back to the truck or when the temps are low. I have ridden wearing no more than cheap mechanix gloves at below zero with the grips on low. Good luck on your search. I think they are Diamond S or somthing like that, Marita carries them.

E

EagleRiverDee

Dec 15, 2009
Eagle River, Alaska
A good pair of gauntlets will do you wonders. I run the ones that are manufactured/sewn in Skwentna. I put them on at the begining of the season and roll them up when its warm and unroll them for long rides back to the truck or when the temps are low. I have ridden wearing no more than cheap mechanix gloves at below zero with the grips on low. Good luck on your search. I think they are Diamond S or somthing like that, Marita carries them.

Any idea how to get those Skwentna gauntlets? Do they have a website, or do they sell in the Anchorage vicinity at any of the stores?

Thanks in advance.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Any idea how to get those Skwentna gauntlets? Do they have a website, or do they sell in the Anchorage vicinity at any of the stores?

Thanks in advance.

same for me..mine go on for every ride..I like thin gloves..I have pearl zumies, factory polaris race gloves and a new set of octane gloves...gauntlets work....have them for every machine..the kids dont like to ride with them on all the time so they keep them in a bag..they get cold out they come and warm hands in no time....most of the dealers used to have them..try go-pro...mine are at least 15 yrs old..still going good....

klim w/ a mitten

i use the Klim inversion glove and then wear a mitten over that. i got the mitten from Rei on clearance. its water resistance with a thin insulation. when it warms up i just shed the mitten. of course i use the hand warmers on my sled as well. This is the best setup for me.

Crash!!!

A

Adrenalin

Nov 2, 2008
Los Anchorage, AK
klim powdercross here, ditched the handguards always int he way it seemed.

-15 lowest temp hardwarmers on full blast kept me warm atleast i didnt notice my hands being cold i did however find that sliver of exposed skin on my neck though lol

klim valdez jacket btw , they tuck into the sleeves nice

A
Dec 31, 2007
Eagle River, AK
I have to have thin gloves, more dexterity and hand warmers tend to work better. The key to thin gloves is finding a pair that are wind proof. I saw some gloves at Go Pro I want but they are out, I think they are FXR Octane but don't remember.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
I have to have thin gloves, more dexterity and hand earners tend to work better. The key to thin gloves is finding a pair that are wind proof. I saw some gloves at Go Pro I want but they are out, I think they are FXR Octane but don't remember.

just got a set of these last week..am very happy with them so far....

T

Theron

Dec 10, 2007
Anchorage
profile.myspace.com
I went through alot of gloves to find a pair I liked. Dont buy any Doo crap I have three different styles and everyone turns inside out once you try to take them off. I really like the klim powerxross, but not sure about the 2010 models I have the previous design. You can probably find the 09 under non current on some sites. They keep my hands plenty warm on any day thats warm enough to ride. If you do much riding at -20 or colder they may not be enough, but they are great gloves with a good feel.

D
Dec 4, 2007
pow_shockerglove_WHT_135041.jpg

I usually wear these or other thin gloves. If it is below 0 I wear a midsize leather Drop glove

A

ak49er

Dec 10, 2008
Big Lake, AK
Klim Togwotee Gloves, Leather palm, Gauntlet Length, rode at -32* at Paxson, removable liners, and a goggle ice scarper on the left index finger. Cinch straps at cuff, about 98.00 USD. Goggle scraper is a must.

Also I have just this year bought a pair of Blackhawk Winter gloves from AIH for driving, and they work really well for riding, and I don't even have handgurds to block the wind. Leather Palm, velcro cuff, great windblock for such a cheap glove.

The Blackhawks are 26.00 USD and sold under at many other brands at Fred Meyer, Sportsmans Wharehouse, SBS etc.

The wife likes HMK and Pearl Zumi gloves. $$$

@ Ripsa$$, I used those PUGS last year, bought them at Sunshine in Talkeetna, rode about five miles and they blistered my whole palm skin right off my hands, needless to say I could barely hang on the rest of the day. The whole firkkin' palm skin was blistered by the two palm reinforecment pads moving against the skin as I bumped down the trail. Glad you had a good experience though.

Last edited:
Premium Features