• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo Nytro oil vent issues?

Q

quadtrac

Feb 27, 2009
I have a 2011 Nytro with the MPI rear mount turbo on it. Have ran into a few issues with the vent line that comes off the top of the oil tank freezing up. It has only done this after a day of riding deep powder and then starting it up the next morning when its been very cold. The last time it did this I could not find where it was pushing the oil out of.... Brought it in my shop to unthaw for a day, topped off the oil and ran it for a few minutes. Nothing shows any signs of a leak?! What would you recommend I did to avoid having this issue? Right now there is just a small breather/filter inside the end of that rubber hose. Thanks

1madbird

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
West Bountiful, Utah
If the oil line from the top of the oil tank has some sort of breather filter i would bet that this filter is absorbing water and then freezing. I have ran with my breather hose open going down below the tank and have never had it freeze up.

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
Yeah it does sound like it is getting water logged and freezing like 1madbird suggested. Some boosted sleds just run an open hose on the end, while others will have a filter.
If you want to keep the filter, then I would route it up and to the driest place you can find under the hood. The idea is to prevent melting snow from getting it wet and allowing it to freeze.
Or you can just run without a filter and have the hose routed towards the belly pan. Don't allow the hose to lay in the belly pan though, otherwise it can ingest water.

Q

quadtrac

Feb 27, 2009
Ok. So if I wanted to run with just the open hose routed near the belly pan, Is a roll over valve absolutely needed to prevent loosing a bunch of oil?

Q

quadtrac

Feb 27, 2009
Here is the little vent filter that was inside the end of that hose from the oil tank. Seems kinda small to me..

C

cbouton

Jan 6, 2013
Soldotna, AK
Mine has done that twice to me and it doesn't take long to lose all your oil I ended up cutting all the material out of the center of that filter. The hose that pops off is in the front/side middle of the oil tank. The pressure from the frozen filter pops the hose off but when you kill the motor the hose semi slips back on.

Premium Features