• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Capacitor Test Value

mtbraun

Premium Member
Mar 31, 2016
I understand the capacitor test per the manual. When charging/testing my capacitor twice I got 1.25 volts and 1.45 volts, respectively. It does hold the charge for several minutes. But that seems like a very low reading for charging it with a 12 volt battery. Does anyone know what the optimum charge value should be? I cannot find it anywhere in the forum posts. thank you.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
this is another method:

1. Remove/Unplug the capacitor from the circuit.

2. Discharge/Short across the capacitor terminals with a paper clip or a DC test light.

3. You will need the multimeter setup to read resistance in ohms.

4. The black probe goes in the negative Female socket of the connector.

5. The red probe goes to the Positive Male bullet pin of the connector.

6. If the probes don't stay connected to the capacitor, you must restart the test.

7. Resistance will start low and rise to 400-600 ohms after 10 seconds. PASS.

FAIL: negative ohm reading. Make sure the probes are not reversed going into the capacitor connector.

FAIL: resistance jumps immediately to Meg Ohm. (make sure probes are still connected to capacitor)

FAIL: resistance reading stays low, does not go up smoothly.

mtbraun

Premium Member
Mar 31, 2016
Thanks - when performing this test the meter stays at zero ohms. I tried several times and made sure the capacitor was discharged. I think its shot.

this is another method:

1. Remove/Unplug the capacitor from the circuit.

2. Discharge/Short across the capacitor terminals with a paper clip or a DC test light.

3. You will need the multimeter setup to read resistance in ohms.

4. The black probe goes in the negative Female socket of the connector.

5. The red probe goes to the Positive Male bullet pin of the connector.

6. If the probes don't stay connected to the capacitor, you must restart the test.

7. Resistance will start low and rise to 400-600 ohms after 10 seconds. PASS.

FAIL: negative ohm reading. Make sure the probes are not reversed going into the capacitor connector.

FAIL: resistance jumps immediately to Meg Ohm. (make sure probes are still connected to capacitor)

FAIL: resistance reading stays low, does not go up smoothly.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
If u discharge the capacitor and then reconnect it to a 12vdc battery to charge it..it MUST reach min 12vdc as well. If it won't increase voltage it's faulty..

Once it reaches 12vdc (of coarse battery being used needs to be fully charged) let cap charge for 30 seconds and remove it from the battery's power..now leave the multimeter plugged into the cap using D.C. VOLTAGE and watch the voltage drop over the next minute..it should slowly drain..very slowly..if it's fast or doesn't hold a charge at all..bam dead part, replace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features