• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What boost levels do you run?

What boost do you run?

• Total voters

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Compression ratio has alot to do with the engine torque curve :face-icon-small-win

IMO,you get the best of both worlds with running a high compression ratio , you can run a bigger turbo with less engine back pressure and still have throttle response like its a stock sled with huge amounts of torque :face-icon-small-hap

The torque curve of a properly fueled and timed motor with a high compression ratio at 15lbs of boost will look a lot different then the torque curve of a properly fueled motor with low compression ratio at 15lbs of boost.:yo:

Do you run straight race fuel with stock compression then?

Is the a point where high compression takes away from top end power on a boosted motor?

djones000buck

Premium Member
Oct 15, 2010
Birch Run, Michigan
I believe the stock compression ratio for the nytro is in the mid to high ten's 10:6 to 10:8 range...

the 60 thou head shim gets you to low 9's, maybe high 8's so you don't have to run high octane gas.

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Very good thread here

Lots of good info here.
It would be nice to see the discussion in this thread keep going.

There seems to be lots to know/learn about different turbos, compression, timing and fuelling setups with 4 stroke turbo's.
I defiantly could learn more here from the guys that have been running Yamaha 4 stroke motors for lots of years.

My next project could very while have a turbo charged Yamaha motor in it.
Looking forward to it!!!

gunnerthesnowman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Red Deer , Alberta
Do you run straight race fuel with stock compression then?

Is the a point where high compression takes away from top end power on a boosted motor?

Boys , this tread was awhile ago , but yes full C-12 if running 18lb and above , but as you see now in 2014 other turbo kit builders are seeing the benefit of stock compression .:face-icon-small-win

R

Remmy

Dec 28, 2003
Man, this thread makes me want to get the Apex back in action. I've got a brand new Boost-It fuel injection system sitting in the garage waiting to get installed.

Kind of sidetracked with my new Turbo Viper though, for now at least haha.

G
Jul 21, 2010
I put a boost it on my apex I run 14lb. With the boost it the boondocker set up pulls like a freight train and spools really quick. Mine has a 2860 on it and loves nipple deep powder. Boost it is the best fueling system for a turbo system IMHO

Premium Features