• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Supporting the tunnel on an SKS for extra weight?

D

daldera

Mar 13, 2015
I snow checked a 155 SKS Axys, and am new to the long track snowmobile. My main reason for ordering one was I wanted to be able to get off the trails, my 1996 Indy 440 doesn’t do that very well. I also wanted to be able to go out west with some friends when I had a chance. Now what brings me to my dilemma is that living in northern MN I also want to take it ice fishing. I know there are sleds that are better suited to this but I don’t have room or money to have a sled just for Ice Fishing. I will be pulling a portable fish house behind the sled plus I would like to be able to have items on the tunnel. I have a friend that has a free ride set up and is able to put an action packer and an ice auger (total weight probably ~50lbs) on the tunnel for shorter trips with no problems, and this would be the ideal situation for myself also. I am concerned about kinking the tunnel with that much weight though. *I have lots of ideas on how to secure all the items on the tunnel just not experienced enough with how much the tunnels can handle and how that much weight effects the tunnel all the way to the front of the sled.

I am wondering how much bracing I would need, I don’t think one of the aftermarket bumpers with bracing running down to the end of the boards would be enough probably. I could design something myself but if there is a decent product out there I would rather go that route. Also would I need to be putting extra braces where the Tunnel meets the bulk head and around the drive shaft?

Obviously with all that weight you’re not going to be going super fast or jumping the sled but still sometimes a frozen lake can be amazingly rough. Any thoughts or advice, or has anyone done similar modifications on their sled?

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
You could always run a set of "Spars" the full length of the tunnel to give you the added support. I've done this on the past few sleds I have owned and will do it on my own SKS next year. I like the look and also like having the extra strength into the tunnel then I never worry about what it being loaded onto it. Yes it adds weight but I'll deal with that trade off. I've always just designed my own and then had them waterjet cut.

Otherwise something like the Vanamburgent "long" bumper might work for you but I'm sure nobody will be able to give you what added weight it will hold.

http://vanamburgent.com/files/2015/03/1662298_10201871650816933_654883611_n-JILL.jpg

This is the one I built for the last sled:

D

daldera

Mar 13, 2015
"Spars"? What exactly are these just full length tunnel supports?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Oinakka

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2008
Sweden
What hitch options are there for the axys? Does the pro stuff fit?

Skickat från min D5803 via Tapatalk

Premium Features