• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best location to mount GPS on bars? Pics appreciated

Mr. Pump Gas

Lifetime Membership
Nov 22, 2009
Just bought Montana 650 and looking for best area to mount on bars? Thanks in advance

Dirty Steve

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Central MN
Not near my sled so I can't take a picture.
I have an Etrex and use this Ram Mount.

489e7fd74d63d851203607c8fa48c9c2.jpg

I clamp it beside the handlebar clamp and position the GPS centered under the cross bar. This way it is out of the way, and the cross bar protects it from branches and roll overs.

907assault

Nov 26, 2011
Kenai Peninsula, AK
Don't do it......Don't mount it anywhere near your bars, or your sled for that matter. It may depend on the type of riding you do, but if you have the chance of rolling your sled over in deep snow, keep it in your pack.

I was warned in the same way not to mount it like this. I had to donate a new GPS to mother nature to listen. Deep snow, tree riding, adrenaline, etc..... 4 hours later, I look down, GPS gone.......You get the picture.

Anyways, thats all I got.

B

bigbone

Nov 26, 2007
Iowa
this is how I mounted mine

Attachments

• !cid__IMG_0186.jpg
    !cid__IMG_0186.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 103
  • !cid__IMG_0185.jpg
    !cid__IMG_0185.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 83
  • !cid__IMG_0183.jpg
    !cid__IMG_0183.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 94

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
A RAM mount on your bars will work great. RAM mounts hold your GPS solidly in the bracket and the round sockets allow it move in a roll over. I've been using one since '07 on my Dragon (not a Pro, but the mount is the same), and never had an issue.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
My rino 650 is mounted with a bar clamp on the lower bar right next to the steering post. The top of it is just under the cross bar on the stock handle bars. Works PERFECT there. Its easy to see and operate in the spot and its well protected. The sled has been rolled over MANY times with zero issues. Ive hand my throttle block and brake lever both get bent or moved rolling over and the GPS is untouched. Eric

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
I'd use the same argument as putting your shovel in your tunnel bag, if you get separated from your sled you won't have it. My shovel and my gps go with me.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
I'd use the same argument as putting your shovel in your tunnel bag, if you get separated from your sled you won't have it. My shovel and my gps go with me.
Not very useful for me getting out on my sled if I cant see it. Ill keep an extra one in my baxkpack when out west in case I get separated. I have 3 handhelds.

Dirty Steve

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Central MN
Same here. I've rolled mine violently with it tucked under the cross bar it didn't even move on the swivel balls. I guess you could make a tether from a fishing leader of your worried.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Same here. I've rolled mine violently with it tucked under the cross bar it didn't even move on the swivel balls. I guess you could make a tether from a fishing leader of your worried.

Forgot to mention that part......I do tether mine around the handle bar before clicking it into the mount. this came in handy about 6 yrs ago on my apex when it got rolled going down the trail. Part of the button broke off the back of the GPS unit and it came out of the mount. Eric

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK

yah stuff can break in roll overs easy, go pro mounts too. i tether my go pro this way as well, run the leader under the visor screw and threw the go pro screw mount. I had a sled roll over top of me down a steep cut block.... yard saled everything, go pro was just dangling there.

Premium Features