• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Engine go Boom!!

Rave

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2001
SE MN
On trail to riding area, 30 mph, light throttle. Heard a bang, coolant everywhere, hole in engine case. Took it apart tonight and found that the PTO connecting rod broke about 2" above crank pin. Any one else seen this happen? Thoughts?

2005 Summit X

Piston and rod.jpg

1500psi

Lifetime Membership
Feb 11, 2008
Sd

Seen it many times. Ski doo been using that same 1500 mile motor for way too long now..

teeroy

Lifetime Membership
had an '03 800HO break the PTO con rod last month, but closer to the piston. left enough rod on the crank to poke itself thru the front and back of the case, as well as though both sides of the jug. totally ate it's pigs

009Medium-1.jpg

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
Boom

Piston sloppy, rocks in bore, skirt breaks off, jams rod, breaks rod. Common to all two strokes. Solution is to replace pistons before they start rocking to much. You can probably see on the piston that did not break that there are wear marks on the very bottom of both intake and exhaust side lower skirts.

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
Less than 300 miles since new crank and pistons.

Then you had some other issues. That blow-by is a dead giveaway that you had a bad piston/cylinder. Did you use OEM? I'm betting that if the pistons were good, the rings installed right you probably had cylinders that were out of spec and in dire need of a re-nik. New pistons in a poor cylinder is just as bad as old pistons in a new cylinder.

T

tukernater

Nov 4, 2009
BC
Then you had some other issues. That blow-by is a dead giveaway that you had a bad piston/cylinder. Did you use OEM? I'm betting that if the pistons were good, the rings installed right you probably had cylinders that were out of spec and in dire need of a re-nik. New pistons in a poor cylinder is just as bad as old pistons in a new cylinder.
Yep I agree :decision:

R

RKT

Jul 19, 2001
Preston, Idaho
www.2strokeheads.com
On trail to riding area, 30 mph, light throttle. Heard a bang, coolant everywhere, hole in engine case. Took it apart tonight and found that the PTO connecting rod broke about 2" above crank pin. Any one else seen this happen? Thoughts?

2005 Summit X

Yes, this is common when you use an aftermarket CHEAP chinese piston like you have used.. Sorry, guy, not trying to rub it in, but you asked for a reasoning and that cheap piston is the reason you now have a worthless engine.
I get this same call weekly and the common variable is always the Chinese piston installed.

This is why we offer a high quality piston that will NOT destroy your engine.

Sorry for your mis-hap... I have a complete bottom end with new, reman, crank ready to go at my shop...

Again, bad deal, but at least the cause of the failure is known..

T

tukernater

Nov 4, 2009
BC
Seen it many times. Ski doo been using that same 1500 mile motor for way too long now..
Ya it's not always BRP's fault got over 7400 miles on my HO,But IF you have a PSI engine i'm sure your no stranger to daily maintenance.:face-icon-small-hap

Rave

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2001
SE MN
XM in my future

Thanks for the input/responses. Pretty much decided to sell/part out the Rev and get an XM.

Good bye old friend:(, it's been a good ride!!!

B

blk9038

Aug 8, 2011
puyallup/edgewood
Thanks for the input/responses. Pretty much decided to sell/part out the Rev and get an XM.

Good bye old friend:(, it's been a good ride!!!

love my old rev also and rebuilt it with the pistons from rktech now the rev is my backup and you will love the xm, i have rode alot of differant rev's . xm out of the box is so much better.

Summit8

Premium Member
Oct 13, 2001
Fairview, MT
My 02 had well over 3k mi. on it before the crank went south, a few years of no dpm, carbs rebuilt by Xtreme Perf. w/ Jack Harris Needle Jets, ran Wiseco pistons before running BJ's 840 HO top end, which was installed w/ the reman and trued crank by BJ.

Premium Features