• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2007 Ski-Doo Summit 800 X Motor Quit

H
Jan 3, 2012
I have a 2007 Ski-Doo Summit 800 X and while riding, only about 5 miles down the trail, this weekend the engine seized. I couldn't even pull the rope at first. After awhile I could pull the rope but it wouldn't start. I pulled one plug at a time and felt for compression. One of the cylinders felt like it had no compression. I pulled again on it and it started but ran on one cylinder. I began the trip back to the truck and it ran like crap most of the way. Just before I got back to the truck it seemed to be running close to normal. Where do I start? What could have gone wrong? Has anyone had this happen to them? First thought is it needs torn down, but I don't want to do this if it isn't necessary and is a common problem with something else. It was a relatively warm morning around 20 degrees and the elevation was between 2,000 and 3,000 between the truck and where I stopped on the trail.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Tear it down.....just do a comp. test and that willl likely tell you all you need to know. While it's apart be sure to update the crank/case clearance if that hasn't been done.

K
Dec 23, 2009
07 800 x crank bearings

i had the exact same thing happen to my o7 X, your crank bearing are toast. i didnt realise what was happenig the first time mine just stopped in my drive way. i put on about another 100 miles. it pulled full rpm my last ride. then i put a magnet down the intake port and pulled out abunch of junk. mine seased in 2010 and Doo helped me out by splitting the price on a new long block. "they called it a rebuild", but it was new i was tapping threads!

Last edited:
R

rev_rider800

Jan 23, 2011
minneapols mn
I have a 2007 Ski-Doo Summit 800 X and while riding, only about 5 miles down the trail, this weekend the engine seized. I couldn't even pull the rope at first. After awhile I could pull the rope but it wouldn't start. I pulled one plug at a time and felt for compression. One of the cylinders felt like it had no compression. I pulled again on it and it started but ran on one cylinder. I began the trip back to the truck and it ran like crap most of the way. Just before I got back to the truck it seemed to be running close to normal. Where do I start? What could have gone wrong? Has anyone had this happen to them? First thought is it needs torn down, but I don't want to do this if it isn't necessary and is a common problem with something else. It was a relatively warm morning around 20 degrees and the elevation was between 2,000 and 3,000 between the truck and where I stopped on the trail.

I mean this in the nicest way possible, but SERIOUSLY? when a sled flat out dies on you
and you can't even rotate the motor, pull the belt off and get towed back. Running said motor will only cause MORE damage. I'm guessing a center crank bearing locked up, hopefully no further damage was done.

Call big john at shr, 612 718 3861

Lefty

Last edited:
D
Feb 14, 2012
my sled is an 05 800HO and i know its a different motor but i had mine seize a few years ago same way. I had put a little oil in the jugs and got it freed up and drove it home.Not really a good idea but didnt want to get towed.When at home i checked compression and one side was 127 and the other was 130 fine by me. Its been 3 seasons since that and still running strong.Almost 10000 kms so its time to freshen the topend after this year anyhow.

D
Mar 3, 2008
well it obvious you don't spend much time on these forums ,many have had this happen to them, I would think most in fact that have a 07 and ride much, you are looking at at least $2000.00 at best, the mono block is expensive to repair
and if the crank is toast it,s even more fwiw if you had no compression in a cylinder you will need, pistons, replated cylinders and gaskets at minimum plus labour,and mabey a head if the rings broke ,sorry just the facts

N
Jan 3, 2008
Northern Utah
I mean this in the nicest way possible, but SERIOUSLY? when a asked flat out does on you
and you can't even rotate the motor, pull the belt off and get towed back. Running said motor will only cause MORE damage. I'm guessing a center crank bearing locked up, hopefully no further damage was done.

Lefty

In my head I was thinking the same thing.....

W
Jan 19, 2010
alaska
800r

800r Motors are JUNK, I've been down that road twice, 1 had 2200 miles blown, bought a brand new Motor from Ski-doo 483 miles blown, 1 year warranty went out, So now time for a Mod Motor 809 Tripple.

S

Sawking

Dec 21, 2008
800r

There are of advantages to being proactive 1 is time- you don't want to be stuck in the back country or just broke down anywhere if time is important to you its lost opportunity to be riding the other is getting your money worth why not 860 your sled by big john right now have more ponies plus very reliable and enjoy sled another few years worry free. When he does the motor he takes care of the dreaded crank seisures with the case machining to make clearance for the bearings. If I missed anything revrider800 can add to the advantages of doing it before it blows.

R

Red-eye

Dec 3, 2008
Sparwood, B.C. Can.

Chances are that a ring siezed and then came loose again. Still needs torn down and the cause found.

R
Jun 14, 2008
Southern Idaho
I mean this in the nicest way possible, but SERIOUSLY? when a sled flat out dies on you

Lefty

X2 agree always tow it out if you can. Not worth taking a risk and causing more damage

R

rev_rider800

Jan 23, 2011
minneapols mn
Is there any advantage to being proactive and deal with the crank issue before the motor goes or just wait until it happens or sell the sled while it's still running!

Sawking covered the advantages for the most part. Time being the largest advantage imo...the season is limited as it is, now you true in down time on top of that! (pulling the motor, shipping it to bj [or shop of your choice] waiting till he can get to it, waiting till the line bore is done, assembling it and getting it all shipped back. And that's assuming he had a crank ready and waiting on the shelf. Now say you take thee risk and roll the dice and chance it and your crank seizes on a trip, now it's either don't ride or trent a sled?? When the center bearings lock, there is TYPICALLY no further damage but there is the risk of the cases or cylinder being damaged.

Imho, there's nothing greater than being proactive when it comes to sled maintenance.

That's just my .02

Lefty

P
Nov 27, 2007
I had the same thing happen to me year ago, puttin around the yard 07 adr. 800r/ mag side ring stuck, waited a wile and came free, rode 200 yrds back to shop. Tore down and mag seal was out, thus the lean burn..new top end with duel ring pistons and seals, had the crank checked out and regreased(1700.00) running strong.

Justin.

Premium Features