• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Oil Coming From Exhaust Can 06 Rev X

I

IdahoMike

Feb 3, 2006
Hailey, Idaho
So I went down today to pick my sleds up from storage and bring them home for some anticipated riding this week with my brother who's over visiting from Portland for the holidays.

With the poor snow last year my sleds went into the trailer from storage and then back into storage with no added miles for the year.

When I started my 06 800 Summit X I noticed a lot of oil coming from the exhaust can. Some of it appeared to have water/gas mixed in with it because of the grayish color.

This sled was purchased with 600 miles on it & now has right around 2500 miles. I have done nothing to the motor as far as rebuilds go & is 100% stock with the exception of an SLP after market can.

After doing some research on this forum it seems it could be a couple of different things that are causing this excessive oil issue. With the sled not being rode now for almost 2 years I'm interested if anyone has any ideas what might be causing this problem before I take it to the dealer and spend a bunch of $$$$.

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

S

skidoorulz

Nov 21, 2007
Billings Montana
Could be oil build up from just starting to load and unload that never got burned out because it never got warmed up enough to burn the oil. Also if you had them in storage there could be some moisture condensation that may have mixed with the oil. As for the possible gas this could be due to stuck floats after long storage and no periodic starting. I'd say pull the carbs and bowls and clean them good inside and then start them and warm them up good and put them on a stand and run it long enough to burn the stuff out of the exhaust system. Should clear it up. Might want to put some Isopropyl in the gas tank also to take care of any condensation especially if the tanks were not stored full

I

IdahoMike

Feb 3, 2006
Hailey, Idaho
Thanks for the info skidoorulz.

The wifes 09 600 E-Tec seems fine & started right up with no problems. Just my my 800 was having issues. I've never seen that much oil coming out the exhaust can before.

In regards to my gas tank, it was pretty low on fuel when I stored it. I did dump 4 gallons of fresh premium non ethanol fuel into the tank before I started it. It only took about 4 or 5 pulls to get it started but the smoke was pretty heavy. Pretty dry down here in this high mountain desert we live in, so not sure if condensation build up would be an issue or not.

S

skidoorulz

Nov 21, 2007
Billings Montana
Heavy smoke is a good sign that oil has bypassed through the oil pump and into the crankcase. this is normal sometimes after long storage. This will cause extreme smoke and oil coming out of the exhaust after first startup. It will burn out. Do what I said, warm it up and run it on a stand to burn it out, You should be fine. Your wifes probably didn't have oil bypass through the pump. I have a 670 Summit that does the same thing after long time with no start but my 2 800's don't

I

IdahoMike

Feb 3, 2006
Hailey, Idaho
Well I put my sled on the stand today and ran it for a while. On the start up @ idle it smoked pretty heavy but seemed to clear up after a while. I did get a bunch more oil that came out the exhaust can when I reved the sled up. So after 15-20 minutes on the stand & at an idle I no longer have oil coming out my exhaust can and the smoke issue is way better. But when I rev the sled up to 5-6000 rpm I'm still getting plenty of smoke and a puddle of oil under the sled 4-6 inches in diameter. Seems to me that some how the sled is getting way more oil then it should be. Anybody know if this is an easy adjustment that I could do myself or do I need to make an appointment at my local dealer and bend over :face-icon-small-sho

S

skidoorulz

Nov 21, 2007
Billings Montana
Well I put my sled on the stand today and ran it for a while. On the start up @ idle it smoked pretty heavy but seemed to clear up after a while. I did get a bunch more oil that came out the exhaust can when I reved the sled up. So after 15-20 minutes on the stand & at an idle I no longer have oil coming out my exhaust can and the smoke issue is way better. But when I rev the sled up to 5-6000 rpm I'm still getting plenty of smoke and a puddle of oil under the sled 4-6 inches in diameter. Seems to me that some how the sled is getting way more oil then it should be. Anybody know if this is an easy adjustment that I could do myself or do I need to make an appointment at my local dealer and bend over :face-icon-small-sho

I don't think your pump needs adjusting. You may have a stuck float or are leaving your choke on. If there is to much gas in the system it will wash out all the residue in the exhaust and it will look like oil. Pull your carbs(easy to do) and check your floats while the carbs are off check the seats on the choke cable at the carbs to make sure the seats are not tore. put it back together and start it on stand. Don't let it idle more than 5 minutes and then run it up to 4500 to 5000 with short throttle burst to 8000. Keep feeling the tunnel right behind the seat for heat, do not let it get to hot. warm to touch is good. The reason you do not want to idle a long time is it will add to the problem as you are not getting a good clean burn. All this should clean the system out good and you should be good to go, After you shut it off pull the plugs and check the tips they should be tan to a hot chocolate colored brown. If so you are good to go. If they are wet or wetish black you still have an issue and with out seeing the thing I don't know where to go next, But do not adjust the oil pump at this time, although while the carbs are off make sure your pump is cycling by hitting the throttle lever and watching the arm on the pump to see that it is moving back and forth.

i bet the oil just seeped thru a seal from sitting for so long and had built up in the crank case.. it will take a bit to get it all blown out.. i would take a good ride for 1/2 hour and get it all good and warm.. then let it sit and see if it does it agin.. i would try this before i screwed with anythimg... but if it has been sitting for 2 years i would clean the carbs before i rode it.

Last edited:
F

FNG

Nov 19, 2008
Clean your carbs, pull the Y pipe and expansion pipe, spray some brake cleaner through the Y-pipe and expansion pipe to get the residual gook out, let it all dry, re-assemble and go ride it!. Don't just let it sit at idle as the pipe won't get hot enough to burn of 2 years of sitting residue while sitting on a stand, you need to clean the carbs and ride it:face-icon-small-win.

Premium Features