• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

08 d7 all locked up

A
Aug 9, 2008
so... went to pull the string and she wont budge a bit. this is the third time this has happened. i can grab the primary and turn it over and it turns tough but does turn and after turning it over by hand with the primary i can pull the string. i have tried removing plugs thinking it was holding compression in for some reason and after pulling the plugs i still couldnt turn it over with the cord. the only way i can get it to turn over is by turning it over with the primary by hand. It has a new motor with less than 50 miles on it. this has happened to my freinds 09 d8 on one very cold morning and after warming it up in the shop a little she broke loose. but with my 700 it is doing it in both warm and cold conditions. ANY help or suggestions would be much appreciated.thanks

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
You can pull the top end and check. Is the sled outside in the cold? I had a sled that got a little moisture inside, froze up and wouldn't turn over. I was freaked out until a couple days later, and warmer temps, I was able to pull it over start it and burn out the moisture.

If it is happening a lot, especially after 50 miles, I would pull the top end off and start looking.

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
so... went to pull the string and she wont budge a bit. this is the third time this has happened. i can grab the primary and turn it over and it turns tough but does turn and after turning it over by hand with the primary i can pull the string. i have tried removing plugs thinking it was holding compression in for some reason and after pulling the plugs i still couldnt turn it over with the cord. the only way i can get it to turn over is by turning it over with the primary by hand. It has a new motor with less than 50 miles on it. this has happened to my freinds 09 d8 on one very cold morning and after warming it up in the shop a little she broke loose. but with my 700 it is doing it in both warm and cold conditions. ANY help or suggestions would be much appreciated.thanks

After you get it running for a few minutes, shut it off and do a compression check.

If it won't start, remove the exhaust valves and peek at the pistons with a flashlight, look for scuffing, "smeared" aluminum, etc.

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
You have another thread about oil in the antifreeze, if this is the same sled I bet the o-rings between the head and cylinders are leaking. This would let antifreeze leak into the cylinder and when you pull the rope it has enought its trying to compress it against the head and causing it to not pull over. Then when it is running it is pushing gas and oil into the cooling system.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
You have another thread about oil in the antifreeze, if this is the same sled I bet the o-rings between the head and cylinders are leaking. This would let antifreeze leak into the cylinder and when you pull the rope it has enought its trying to compress it against the head and causing it to not pull over. Then when it is running it is pushing gas and oil into the cooling system.

Alex, you didn't mention this.

H
Jan 9, 2008
Woodland, WA

That was my first thought as well, but then I noticed he said it does it even with the plugs removed. Maybe the leaking coolant caused it to seize originally and then, like Kraven said, it's getting hung up on the aluminum stuck to the cylinder walls. Pull it apart, Alex...only takes a few minutes and you'll be able to rule it out:)

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
Guess I didnt read where he said it would not pull over with spark plugs out, I see it now. I would deffinately pull the head off and take a peak see,will only take about 15 min. to pull it apart.

rydningen

Premium Member
May 9, 2009
Northern Norway
If coolant has made its way down in the crankcase it might have caused the crank bearings to rust and seize, even if the pistons look good this might be the case.

I would say pull the engine out and do a thorough inspection of everything, because something is definitely not the way it should be.

A
Aug 9, 2008
yes this is the same sled with the antifreeze in the oil and it was super cold yesterday when i tried to pull start it and after warming it up in the shop and NOT turning it over by hand with the primary, it pulled over just fine. Im super super confused on this there is quite a bit of oil in the tank. wow this is not fun.

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
yes this is the same sled with the antifreeze in the oil and it was super cold yesterday when i tried to pull start it and after warming it up in the shop and NOT turning it over by hand with the primary, it pulled over just fine. Im super super confused on this there is quite a bit of oil in the tank. wow this is not fun.

There should be a drain plug in the front of the engine case, down below the exhaust y-pipe.

Remove the plugs, and have your buddy raise the rear of the sled and watch to see what (if anything) comes out,

That will give you a feel for possible damage to the crank bearings, if at all.

What do the spark plugs look like.

As I mentioned earlier, it's only 2 bolts, remove the exhaust valves, look down in there with a flashlight.

Last edited:
A
Aug 9, 2008
well its all starting to add up in the summer when i would try to move it out of the trailer it would run then foul a plug and i would change it and it would foul it again. if i let it run a little while then it would move under its own power and not foul a plug but i just figured it was the quart of oil in the tank with gas, and my gas was way low. starting to sound like i need to pressure test the cooling system to see if it holds. it has never seized while running.... but you guys are still leaning twords the seize of the pistons and thinking it scored the cylinders???

A
Aug 9, 2008
well i pulled the ves valves and there isnt any signs of a true sieze. the recoil side looks the --worst--- (if you will) with small wear lines in the chocolate coating on the side of the piston but no scoring.... im gunna give pressure test a wirl and see how it goes

rydningen

Premium Member
May 9, 2009
Northern Norway
I would do as KRAVEN suggested above, pull the drain plugs on the crankcase and se if something comes out of there. If so, notice the color of it, maybe hold a piece of paper in front of the hole when it drains to se is theres any sign of rust or something.

Dec 15, 2008
Might be getting enough fluid in the case to hydrolock?

I would do as KRAVEN suggested above, pull the drain plugs on the crankcase and se if something comes out of there. If so, notice the color of it, maybe hold a piece of paper in front of the hole when it drains to se is theres any sign of rust or something.

Premium Features