• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Where a deal on a 2018

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
When I buy out of state, I just turn it into a riding trip. All the $$$$ you save ( which is usually a lot ) pays for the trip.:face-icon-small-hap

I was gonna ride FISHLAKE UT BUT was getting rained out the day I bought the sleds. Drove there and it was a pouring.

M
Mar 29, 2018
I just received "BAD" feedback about this post.

Let me know why this is a "BAD" post Msloweddie?
Omg I must have hit that button by accident. I live in Colorado and I’m calling Montrose tomorrow because of your post. Did you buy in March or April? Unfortunately ski do promotions are not as good in April and I was discouraged until I saw your post. It’s the exact opposite of “bad” feedback. It’s amazing news!!!! Thank you

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Omg I must have hit that button by accident. I live in Colorado and I’m calling Montrose tomorrow because of your post. Did you buy in March or April? Unfortunately ski do promotions are not as good in April and I was discouraged until I saw your post. It’s the exact opposite of “bad” feedback. It’s amazing news!!!! Thank you

Glad to know you are ok with the post. Ask for Ben he rides 850's and will set up the sled for you.

They are selling SKI DOO synthetic 2 cycle oil at really great prices.

Texasron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Dallas, Tx
To all 850 guys

I keep reading about H U G E O I L consumption on 850's. Next year please keep us posted on consumption. 128 ounces in 1 gallon of oil.

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
...which is huge. That's 25:1
Problem is I have nothing to compare that to.
I spent all my years riding Yamahas which burn NO OIL at all.
then got 3 850s.
So for me, this seems perfectly normal.

But it could be crazy high and I wouldn't know it from past experience.

Perhaps I get 3 tanks of gas to 1 tank of oil.
But more often than note I refill the oil tank every second or so fuel fill up.
But I have NEVER let it get all the way down before refilling it.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Problem is I have nothing to compare that to.
I spent all my years riding Yamahas which burn NO OIL at all.
then got 3 850s.
So for me, this seems perfectly normal.

But it could be crazy high and I wouldn't know it from past experience.

Perhaps I get 3 tanks of gas to 1 tank of oil.
But more often than note I refill the oil tank every second or so fuel fill up.
But I have NEVER let it get all the way down before refilling it.

No offense meant in this Christopher, but as a Snowest moderator and all around enthusiast a little research would go a long way. Two stroke motors have been run on snow for as long as there has been the sport of snowmobiling, so its not like its super hard to figure out what is generally considered "common" or what others are burning on the Pol or Cat side.

Though there is a lot of evidence to support a motor runs well up to 20:1 (or even higher) the historical norm is somewhere 32:1-50:1. Oil injection was supposed to allow less oil burn as the oil was injected to the critical parts. Apparently not true with respect to the 850.

Either way I am running about the same oil burn as you, though I'm also running a turbo whereby we increase the oil pump's duty cycle (on purpose).

I'm fine burning oil if it means I keep the motor running a lot longer. That said, at $50/gallon, that's an extra what, $20 a ride?! Ouch!

J
Mar 10, 2017
Eastern Idaho
I checked my gas/oil ratio on numerous rides this season, from super deep days to days where I was just riding trail, the lowest oil consumption I measured was 26:1 and the highest was 19:1. To measure this I refilled at the gas station and filled the tank to the same spot each time and burped it in the same manner, then I filled the oil tank from a calibrated jug. These 850's use a LOT of oil, its kind of embarrassing how much oil they use.

I have an outboard motor from 1951 and it is supposed to be run on 24:1 premix, and somehow even though my sled is 67 years newer than this outboard motor it uses more oil? I love the sled, but it is disappointing how much oil it uses.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
My average ride is 5-6 gallons of gas. It seems that the oil tank is about 5/8 full or just over the half tank line. I’ve actuall wondered if a full tank ride would empty the oil tank or get it close enough to go into low oil alarm???

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
No offense meant in this Christopher, but as a Snowest moderator and all around enthusiast a little research would go a long way. Two stroke motors have been run on snow for as long as there has been the sport of snowmobiling, so its not like its super hard to figure out what is generally considered "common" or what others are burning on the Pol or Cat side.

Though there is a lot of evidence to support a motor runs well up to 20:1 (or even higher) the historical norm is somewhere 32:1-50:1. Oil injection was supposed to allow less oil burn as the oil was injected to the critical parts. Apparently not true with respect to the 850.

Either way I am running about the same oil burn as you, though I'm also running a turbo whereby we increase the oil pump's duty cycle (on purpose).

I'm fine burning oil if it means I keep the motor running a lot longer. That said, at $50/gallon, that's an extra what, $20 a ride?! Ouch!

True enough.
Moving from 4 over to 2 stroke has been an eye opening experience for me in more ways than one.

I remember early on BRP made some changes to their initial oil consumption "forecasts" and raised the oil consumption up quite a bit, much to the consternation of some customers here on SnoWest.

Since I had nothing to compare it against, whatever it burned seemed perfectly normal to me. Riding 2 Strokes was just a whole lot more expensive than my boosted 4 strokes. Always figured that was the cost of doing business on a 100lb lighter sled. Same went for breakage, the lighter 2strokes were simply more fragile than the heavier 4 strokes. But at 55 I was ready for less weight and willing to pay $$$ for it.

Premium Features