• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

190 MPI Viper secondary spring setup?

R
Oct 17, 2008
Williams Lake B.C.
Hey guys my 15' Viper has all the MPI recommended Yamaha clutch parts in it including the double white secondary spring, but it is currently set at 3 & 1 not the 6 & 1 MPI is recommending, I have no problem making RPM and I ride a bit lower 7500' tops then what they show in their chart 8-10,000' for that setting. Increasing spring tension to the #6 should improve back shift which is a little lazy on it and make it hold lower gear longer and help to fully close the secondary and return the top of the belt just above the sheave, which it currently isn't doing as it will sit 3/16" below the sheave when returning to idle on a stand (I shimmed the three bolts with two washers each on the back of the clutch and my belt sit's right at a 1/16 to an 1/8 th above the sheaves with the clutch off the machine) increasing preload should help this I'm thinking, I just don't want to pick up anymore RPM or increase belt temps if I do it what are some of your thoughts on this?

Premium Features