• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Skinz Tri-Lite Running Boards

alstar

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
North of Duluth, MN
Has anyone put these running boards on a 2018 SKS or RMK? Just wondering how they line up? They say they are direct bolt on for the 850 RMK so just curious as to the fit on the 2018???

Thanks,

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
You will need to make a new top back mounting hole. They are same length as the 850 boards. It appears you will have a little extra mounting area by the drop brackets that will be able to be trimmed. If that makes sense.

They are a quick install on a 850. It won’t be too complicated on a 800. Mine and a buddies should be here shortly. They are a fantastic piece.

alstar

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
North of Duluth, MN
I reached out to Skinz just to be sure before I ordered and their response was that they fit on any axys 2016+ but not as direct bolt on. They will require some drilling for rivet placement.

Colbymh

Lifetime Membership
Sep 1, 2018
Oregon
Seems like the running boards are the biggest pita to swap cuz u have to cut away the toe hold and drill other holes. What exactly is the night/day difference in them?

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Anyone running these? Any comments? Any chance if I order them now I will have them by mid winter?

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I’ll add to that a little ^^ I don’t dislike the stock boards, but they dont hold up. I ran BM fab on my last Axys and LOVE the stuff they make, you CANNOT beat the quality, but I think they built up more snow than the stockers due to the inside tube being round. I like that the trilites have the triangular inside “tube” and that there are fewer screws. So just wondering if traction and durability get the nod here? I also know there were promises of Skinz stepping up manufacturing with their move to AZ. Are they still so busy developing stuff that they NEVER have any of their cool new stuff in stock?

Madtown

Premium Member
Nov 8, 2008
Madison,WI
I got to look at these boards on & off a Axys this winter. They are very light & look well built. On the sled they looked really nice as far as fitment went. Can't comment on durability though. I will be adding these to my sled this summer & cutting the toe loop off.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Anyone running these? Any comments? Any chance if I order them now I will have them by mid winter?

Last I knew dealers and WPS had them in stock. I got mine about a month ago. I have not had a chance to mount them up between the weather and influenza. If you want to stop and look at them you can. At this point I am
Going to wait till summer to install. I know on the 850’s it was a couple hour swap if even that.

alstar

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
North of Duluth, MN
I installed these boards on mine just in time to put the sled away for the winter. Install was very easy. There was one area where the original boards mounted on the back that I cut off. Mostly for visual satisfaction.
picture.php
picture.php

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
They come with the kit. They make an angle so snow won't build up in this area. I only have 1 ride on these boards but love them so far.

^^^^^^

I’ve been having some ice buildup issues that I believe are from the matte finish Powdercoat and the flat outer rail.

Might just remove them and re coat them a gloss or satin over the top of the screws.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
^^^^^^

I’ve been having some ice buildup issues that I believe are from the matte finish Powdercoat and the flat outer rail.

Might just remove them and re coat them a gloss or satin over the top of the screws.

After trying a bunch of different things to fix the ice buildup I removed the skinz boards and installed oem 850 boards.

Uncoated 2016 axys boards had less ice buildup than the Tri lite boards.

At least I paid $550 for the worthless things.
Good riddance.

. 1F8B3C14-F9E5-4BBA-BB28-705679332F02.jpeg

GreenState

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
McCall
One buddy has those, he's had such an issue with slipping off they that he finally took an angle grinder to the peaks of all the treads to try to get SOMETHING for his boot to grab.

I'm a huge fan of the Skinz shorty boards, but these aren't all that...

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
One buddy has those, he's had such an issue with slipping off they that he finally took an angle grinder to the peaks of all the treads to try to get SOMETHING for his boot to grab.

I'm a huge fan of the Skinz shorty boards, but these aren't all that...

I would strongly encourage your buddy to ditch the Tri lite boards.

One of the biggest problems is the holes punched through the V shaped pieces.

Ice sticks in there and can hardly be chipped loose.

I have a full day on the stock 850 boards and i wish i had done them sooner.

It’s like putting on a good pair of boots, you go half the day without even remembering to think about your feet. (Vs cheap boots giving you pain all day)

C3F6FD6F-CEE0-41FD-91F8-AAB36B04B9B9.jpeg

Premium Features