• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Chain case on secondary side

gilestyle1

Lifetime Membership
Aug 24, 2013
heber, utah
Has anyone tried to move the chain case to the same side as the secondary clutch? Or seen anything like this?

gilestyle1

Lifetime Membership
Aug 24, 2013
heber, utah
Im thinking something similar to dd but chain driven. With the gear hooked directly to the secondary clutch

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
The problem is with high HP you'll need to support the outboard side of the secondary being there isn't a long shaft displacing the load. Then changing belts will be a pain. Then ALL the weight is on that side of the machine.

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
I wonder how that left hand (diamond drive style) chain case has turned out.
I've never heard of anyone using it.
STM does make nice products.
Maybe drag racers are using it???

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
How did the old RMI drive work?

I have no experience with the RMI, but that was the other one I was trying to think of. I believe it has been out of production for nearly 15-20 years.

It was very similar, except it ran a gear drive similar to a few few aftermarket cam shaft drives (may have indeed been the cam shaft drive setup with a case built for sleds). Big gear in the driveshaft (Cam), small gear on the short Secondary shaft (Crank), and two idler gears that are tied together and float between the large and small gears to keep the rotation the same direction.

My guess is they ceased production due to lack of demand, as you basically needed to build the sled for that drive. Not easily retrofit to an existing chassis.

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Gear Drives

FAST built sleds with Polaris motor turned around intake in front pipes on the back clutches on the rights side. If I remember correctly they used a gear drive connecting the secondary clutch through the gear drive to the drive shaft. Was that there's or was it a RMI drive?

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
FAST built sleds with Polaris motor turned around intake in front pipes on the back clutches on the rights side. If I remember correctly they used a gear drive connecting the secondary clutch through the gear drive to the drive shaft. Was that there's or was it a RMI drive?

The Fast gear drive was just two gears to get the correct rotation after turning the engine around.

gilestyle1

Lifetime Membership
Aug 24, 2013
heber, utah
So this is a skidoo alpine. Im thinking of trying to do something like this but using chain driven and not a gear box.

20170113_191039.jpg 20170113_191101.jpg 20170113_190843.jpg

Premium Features