• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

truck tires

W

w4cstriker

Dec 17, 2007
washington
Hi was looking for some imput on new tires trying to choose between kelly safari tsr vs toyo open country m/t vs cooper discover. Figured to run stock size of 265/70/17 mainly from nov to may for pulling trailer in the winter alot of use on highway. Thankyou for any input.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I would not countout the Hankook DynaPro AFM RF10. Def worth a look.

P

papa bear

Nov 26, 2007
Hobart, WA
pick the dealer, then pick the tire

dealer closest to my house, that I used to go to decided he would have bankers hours 9-5 M-F. That doesn't work for me. . . . . I go elsewhere now.... Another dealer has a very small lot - really hard to get in and out of his business - especially for anything larger than a Smart car...

H

Highmarker

Nov 20, 2004
In the west!
If you are using it mainly for highway use and trailer pulling then why would you get mud terain tires? They are going to be loud, wear faster and not do worth a crap on icy highways....if it was a truck that was being used offroad quite a bit, I would say the coopers. If it is going to be used as you say....I would get the Toyo open country A/T, or the BFG A/T. Both pretty decent on ice and don't sacrifice too much off-road.

W

w4cstriker

Dec 17, 2007
washington
The open country ta i heard is a good tire but only last 30k and leswab wants over 300 a piece for the cooper dint know anything about just was told about it was a good tire. I guess ,I should explain better on how we drive we take a few long trips to our favorite places no freeway driving except in summer which I want to take these of around may.We pull a four place enclosed with a duramax .was going to sipe them one guy said kelley safari was really good anybody run them? Would going up a size to a 285 hurt much for mpg? ty for input.

S

Snocross 100

Oct 6, 2008
I went through this delema and here is what i got from my research...

I was looking for a 31"x10.5" 15" so thats where the prices came from...

Toyo M/T- 40,000 $200 on sale normally 250 (winner)
BFG KM2- 20,000 $190
BFG KO- 45,000 $195 (not enough deep snow performance as i have a half mile of pushing snow with my bumper sometimes)
Goodyear Bighorn- 25,000 $175 on sale normally 200
Cooper Discovery- 20,000 $180 (i have a friend that only has 10,000 and is starting to look for new ones
Super Swamper TSL- 15-20,000 $165
Dynapro M/T- 25,000 $185

The Toyo's one simply for the fact they meet my demands to get in to my cabin and they are the quietest M/T I have ever rode on. They wear incredibly. My dad put 55,000 miles on his 6.0 on Toyo M/T

MUZBOMB

Lifetime Membership
Aug 15, 2008
Albeta sometimes Saskatchewan
I got the Goodyear Dura Tracs for winter and studded them they are awesome!!!! I have buddys that got them with out the studs and they say they are great in the mud but awesome for the snow!!!!!! just a thought

smoothdawg

Premium Member
Apr 7, 2008
Spokane, WA.
I am running the Hankook Dyna pros on an 06 3500 dodge diesel [single wheel] and don't care for them. They don't seem to be wearing too good and the thing I dislike the most is in a corner it feels like the tread depth is so tall that it is flexxing. It gives an uneasy feeling like the tires are real low on pressure and rolling over. I should have stuck with the old stand by, BFG all terrain. Does everything well in my opinion. The Hankooks were cheaper. I'll never buy them again!

harrysmith500

Lifetime Membership
Did I mention how awesome Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac's are! Competitively priced and made in the USA!!! We have them on about 7 pickups for our company right now and we'll replace them with another set of Duratracs once they wear out.

images

truck_14.jpg

IMG_6114.jpg

73148d1237561025-wrangler-duratrac-wranglerduratrac.jpg

Last edited:
C

carlc

Jan 23, 2008
helena mt
i wouldnt touch les schwab with a ten foot pole here in helena, They have the worst service and attitude of most any business ive seen. I have had three sets of nitto terra grapplers, (all terrain, similar to open country a/t) and love them. all on dodge diesels, the first two sets got over forty thousand on them, and could have gone more but it was going into winter. my current set are 37 1450s, I have 33 htousand on them adn last time they were rotated had forty percent left on them. plus i got the 37s off discounttiredirect for under 1400 mounted and balanced, my buddy paid 1300 for 33 toyos from schwabis.

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
I'm picking up my new tires Monday from tire rack.

I have 30k on the toyo opencountry AT and absolutly love the tire, in fact I could easily squeeze winter out of my rears, but the fronts are slim on tread.
This tire is awsome in the snow!!!!

Les Schwab wanted $1100 for a replacement set. (WHAT??)

Tire Rack had the kumho kl71 in my size for $565, however my buddy has a wholesale account and I got them for $495 otd, and the tire shop down the street is charging $60 for install. I did alot of research on this tire and guys are clouting 60k miles out of them with their 3/4 ton, and excellent snow traction.

I love the service from schwab, but it's not worth throwing $500+ at them for it.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...R7KL7810&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Last edited:
S

scarlier

Dec 29, 2009
Sicamous, BC
RF-10

I would not countout the Hankook DynaPro AFM RF10. Def worth a look.

i second that. i just retired a set of Toyo Open Country M/t's and i absolutely love the Hankooks. They are siped for winter driving, twice as quiet on the highway and work awesome off-road.

I cant say much bad about the Toyo though. They lasted 85000km on an 07 Dodge Mega Cab Dually and still have tread left. I just wanted to try something for more hiway use that wasn't as loud and doesn't wander as bad.

Another thing to consider is air pressure. tires will definitely handle differently with different air pressures.

Last edited:
B
Nov 27, 2007
Boise,Id
Tires

I would stay away from the toyo open country's after going down the highway in island park sideways, more than once on ice. I am running The Cooper Discover ATR's and I am very impressed with them in the snow and on ice. I won't running anything but them now. They wear great as well, I have 30,000 on mine and still have around half tread.

K

knzee

Dec 29, 2008
Great Falls, MT
Check out Discount Tire Direct on the web. I run a set of Kelly Safari TSR's on my work truck. Great Off road tire, wears pretty fast on the highway and feels pretty soft on the highway. I am going to go with a set of Hankook Dyno Pro ATM RF10 from discount Tire for my personal truck. $208/ 10 ply, 18" tire delivered to my door. Pretty hard to beat their pricing.

MUZBOMB

Lifetime Membership
Aug 15, 2008
Albeta sometimes Saskatchewan
i second that. i just retired a set of Toyo Open Country M/t's and i absolutely love the Hankooks. They are siped for winter driving, twice as quiet on the highway and work awesome off-road.

I cant say much bad about the Toyo though. They lasted 85000km on an 07 Dodge Mega Cab Dually and still have tread left. I just wanted to try something for more hiway use that wasn't as loud and doesn't wander as bad.

Another thing to consider is air pressure. tires will definitely handle differently with different air pressures.

I have started running nitrogen in my tires instead of air and it seems to work great. I use my truck for work and drive alot with it and with the nitrogen it seems to wear the tire evenly get more miles out of them. Just a thought that i have found.

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
I have started running nitrogen in my tires instead of air and it seems to work great. I use my truck for work and drive alot with it and with the nitrogen it seems to wear the tire evenly get more miles out of them. Just a thought that i have found.

I run a 78% nitrogen air blend. Works great and it's free from my personal compressor or any gas station!!!!

Don't fall for the nitrogen gimmick, that was a sales pitch by the manufacturers of the machines. Proper inflation, balance and rotation will help tires wear more evenly.

S

Snocross 100

Oct 6, 2008
Did I mention how awesome Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac's are! Competitively priced and made in the USA!!! We have them on about 7 pickups for our company right now and we'll replace them with another set of Duratracs once they wear out.

images

truck_14.jpg

IMG_6114.jpg

73148d1237561025-wrangler-duratrac-wranglerduratrac.jpg

A set of 31 x 10.5 r15 is $600 mounted and ballanced at wal mart!

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
If you really care about winter traction & want cheap tires, try these guys out for a set or 10.

www.treadwright.com

Everyone I know who has tried them stays with them. They're cheap & disgusting good in the snow.

I started running these a couple years ago, and have a few buddies who run other patterns from them & love them.
42.jpg

They have green glass in them & walnuts, the walnuts come out & create more surface area, and the green glass acts like studs without the noise, cost, or mileage from studs.

I drive either over a 12k pass or through the tunnel at 11k every day, about 100 miles a day, and these things just plain take the fun out of driving over the pass, it's just boring now!!

Btw, they usually cost me just over $500 installed for 265/70/17 10 ply tires.

Premium Features