• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Power overrated? Lawsuit?

Feb 7, 2010
Ok, I have an '08 m8, and I ride with a couple guys who ride '09 dragons. They're trying to tell me that there is a lawsuit against AC because the power was overrated significantly on these.
Any truth to this?????
I keep up with them just fine, and I suspect my m8 climbs better. :face-icon-small-coo
Anyone have some good ammo to throw back as to how the m8's better than the Dragon?:face-icon-small-hap

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Ok, I have an '08 m8, and I ride with a couple guys who ride '09 dragons. They're trying to tell me that there is a lawsuit against AC because the power was overrated significantly on these.
Any truth to this?????
I keep up with them just fine, and I suspect my m8 climbs better. :face-icon-small-coo
Anyone have some good ammo to throw back as to how the m8's better than the Dragon?:face-icon-small-hap

does your sled run good? take you places you want to go?..do you get home after a ride and all you can think about is the next time you get to go tear it up again?..then you have the right sled for you..and in the end thats all that matters...right?

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
X2 ^^^^

Wasn't the dragon supposed to be 154 hp. The 08 m8 is rated at 142 hp. If you keep up with them there must be something terribly wrong with those dragons.

Put a powerclaw and 09 bumper on it and you will walk all over them if you keep up now.(and a slp pipe, then it will really go)

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
I think the lawyers are still working on the "over-rated" lawsuit for the Polaris 900 RMK. They will get it finished up as soon as the close the case against the RXL........Ultra..........Indy 600..............:face-icon-small-win

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
One of the main reasons I stay with Cat is the fact their estimate's are closer to "real" HP and weight than any of the others.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Polaris stopped publishing their HP ratings awhile ago since they knew they were no where close to the 154 advertised HP. With the 2010 updates stock the Poo 800's are at about 144 HP. They run pig rich up top with the 2010 reflashes.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Polaris stopped publishing their HP ratings awhile ago since they knew they were no where close to the 154 advertised HP. With the 2010 updates stock the Poo 800's are at about 144 HP. They run pig rich up top with the 2010 reflashes.

really?..this is a plug from mine after a full throttle cut clean run up a good hill....stock 08 dragon motor with the latest 10 updates...no fuel controller....

DSC00312.jpg

and anyone who has ridden it will tell you it has HP....now I will admit some sleds arnt running to potential..but most do......

S
Feb 21, 2009
power

Ran with a dragon last week had the new motor recall and updates,and must say it was impressive..see how long it last.The polaris are blowin motors like crazy this year....

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
really?..this is a plug from mine after a full throttle cut clean run up a good hill....stock 08 dragon motor with the latest 10 updates...no fuel controller....

and anyone who has ridden it will tell you it has HP....now I will admit some sleds arnt running to potential..but most do......

Looks a lot better than mine. My plugs were always black with the 2010 updates. Felt like it had more power with last years 09 rattle can pistons... My Dragon with the 09 parts always ran better than my buddies 09 HCR, but when the 2010 updates went in they were dead even on the hill every time. Mine failed three times on me...two with 09 top ends, and a month ago crank bearing with '10 top end. So I sold it and got the 10 M8. Dragon or 09 M8 can't hold a candle to the new M8 engine's power. I'm really impressed with it up here at elevation.

Last edited:

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Looks a lot better than mine. Mine never looked like that. Mine felt like it had more power with last years 09 rattle can pistons... My Dragon with the 09 parts always ran better than my buddies 09 HCR, but when the 2010 updates went in they were dead even on the hill every time. Mine failed on my with the 09 and 10 parts so I sold it and got the 10 M8. Dragon or 09 M8 can't hold a candle to the new M8 engine's power. I'm really impressed with it up here at elevation.

yeah I do feel for those whos sleds wont perform for sure, I dont think it is totally the stuff polaris is providing as it is dealers not getting everything set up and adjusted just right..I still think the 08 parts and flash had best performance..but piston clearence issues doomed that setup(although mine ran flawless all 2000 miles that season..then got the 09 setup the next fall.....)..good luck with your M..they are great sleds ...

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
I havent seen any dragon come close to a 09 or newer m8, and flat walked on them with my stock 09 m1000. Like the way the ride and feel, but what I couldn't do on the dragon I flew over on my sled. Thought it to be a decieving sled. Then again put a powerclaw on a dragon and it makes just as big of difference as the m8.

White Rad

Premium Member
Nov 16, 2009
WA to B.C.
Any truth to this?????

you shouldn't believe everything a dragon tells you:mad2:....

D
Sep 19, 2008
Sandy, UT
One of the guys I ride with is on an '09 Dragon 800 and he can't get anywhere near my '10 M8. He's a better rider than me and he weighs probably 30 lbs less than me. He also just sent me a text this morning letting me know that the dragon is in the shop for it's 4th engine rebuild.

I wouldn't worry about arguing with them. Just ride your sled and enjoy it.

Apr 21, 2008

Originally they were actually 154 hp (maybe pre-production), then due to reliability issues they detuned them to about 142 hp (verified by independent dyno tests) and stopped publishing horsepower numbers. Now I guess they're back around 144 ish.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
One of the guys on here has one and the last time I saw him say something about it was. "Do You know why they call them Dragon's, Because you will be Dragon them out"

S
Jan 13, 2009
kelso washington
wyo boy statement

i ride a m1000 and have 2 rmks and a king. they all run good. i've rode with alot of other brands this year. they all have problems and all run pretty good i've seen two identical sleds up against each other many times only diff being track. all i can say is power claws rule

B
Jan 16, 2010
Northern Utah
One of my ridin buddies picked up a hold over 09 D800 with a 163 on it about a month ago. We went out last weekend and we were climbin a hill with about 6-8ft of snow on it and it was just about vertical. He got stuck on his first attempt only about 1/3 of the way up.

I took a run at it and made it to the top just about effortlessly on my 2010 M8. He tried again and got almost to the top then got buried again. Then I went up and over while he was stuck and I was cat walkin right passed him without a problem.

But yea, the 08 M8 is not the beast the 2010 is. Arctic cat rated it at 142 HP for a reason, because they aren't liars! No, AC is not getting sued.

If anyone should catch a lawsuit for an inferior product it should be Skidoo for motor issues, bad clutches and flying nuns made out of beer cans or Polaris for the motor/crank/ecu issues.

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
Any truth to this?????

I am not usually so blunt, but what a TARD:face-icon-small-win

Premium Features