• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Truck Tires

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Any good tire can be used for towing as long as it is rated for the task weight-wise and ply-wise. Obviously, some tires are better than others.

If you are looking for specific recommendations, you might provide more info such as

Tow vehicle model
Trailer type, weight, enclosed or open
Distances covered while towing
Type of terrain typically driven, like mtns, flat, paved, gravel
Do you tow year round

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Any good tire can be used for towing as long as it is rated for the task weight-wise and ply-wise. Obviously, some tires are better than others.

If you are looking for specific recommendations, you might provide more info such as

Tow vehicle model
Trailer type, weight, enclosed or open
Distances covered while towing
Type of terrain typically driven, like mtns, flat, paved, gravel
Do you tow year round

This is a good start.

One thing right off ... I bought BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO2 Tires 10 Ply E

265/75-16

97 Ford F250 crew Dana 60 & 80 mostly highway.

Running 60PSI ... then max pressure pulling trailer

Pulling 29' V noise 8K # 20% of the time

Did not last me 35K miles and less on the pulling tire ... rear right

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Currently running a set of Toyo RT 35x12.50-20" on a Super Duty. I've had really good luck with them in snow filled parking lots pulling a 29" foot enclosed. I've managed to make it through while others with smaller trailers got stuck. I've also had really good luck with them on ice and crappy roads but I also had them siped, which I think helps on the ice.

A
Feb 16, 2014
This is a good start.

One thing right off ... I bought BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO2 Tires 10 Ply E

265/75-16

97 Ford F250 crew Dana 60 & 80 mostly highway.

Running 60PSI ... then max pressure pulling trailer

Pulling 29' V noise 8K # 20% of the time

Did not last me 35K miles and less on the pulling tire ... rear right

I am in the same boat with the KO2’s (35x12.5x20) on my Duramax: approx 15k miles and only 50% tread remaining. Had real good treadlife with the original Gen 1 KO’s but these new ones are a big disappointment. Probably going to go with Toyo for my next set.

MX86

Lifetime Membership
Apr 9, 2008
Bemidji, MN
Yokohama Geolander A/T g015 tires I put on my truck. Very impressed so far with the wear and snow performance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Toyo makes a desent tire but they do horrible on the ice. So horrible ive seen multiple people stuck in snowparks. The best winter tire ive found for hauling trailers is goodyear dudatrac they wear good but bite excellent even in the ice. They are also pre drilled for studs which I run as well.

Tires that wear fast are usually from a lack of rotating and or imbalance issues. My bfg k02 have over 30k on with lots of towing and are still at half tread. My duratracs only have about 6k on them but still look new.

R
Apr 18, 2016
I need my head checked. I like Mud tires. Mud tires are the true all terrain, they work better than all terrains in the snow, slush, dirt, mud, sand, rocks, basically everywhere....except for ice. In the ice they do flat out suck but I just slow down. The truck that just went burning past you will be begging to get pulled out of the bank. All terrains will get stuck in my backyard in the winter.

I put my wifes car on Michelin Xice's...she stays on the road.

XC500mod

Lifetime Membership
Apr 2, 2013
i had terra grappler G2s on my 2500 duramax and they were awesome.

i went with nitto ridge grapplers on my '17 f350 and they are better in the snow and heavy rain/standing water. they are as quiet as stock tires too. I have 6,700 miles on them and they hardly look worn. they are pricey but i highly recommend.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Anyone who runs "mud tires" in the winter, especially towing, needs to have their head checked.

That type of tire is -TERRIBLE- in the snow, period. Especially towing.

Unless you sipe them! Then they're awesome. Big open treads dig in soft snow and clean out easy. And the sipes grip icy hard pack as good as any tire save for dedicated snow/ice tires.

Have a cheap set of Firestone MTs for winter tires, siped the center treads, leave the outside blocks alone to help with treadwear and tread feathering.
Best bang for the buck and most take studs too if you live in real winter country.

Aug 20, 2013
North Dakota
Anyone who runs "mud tires" in the winter, especially towing, needs to have their head checked.

That type of tire is -TERRIBLE- in the snow, period. Especially towing.

I would tend to disagree with the last statement. They are great in snow. Now ice on the other hand....they have a little to be desired. I have had HT, AT and MT tires on my trucks through the years and for ND winters and traveling to the mountains I prefer MT tires. Right now I have one diesel with Duratracs and one with Toyo MT's. Both trucks will get through snow very well, but the MT's definitely clean themselves better and will make it a little further in 2wd.

Now for the downside of MT's. They are usually more expensive depending on brand, as I mentioned above they are a little worse off on ice (just slow down a little) and they usually have more road noise than an HT or AT.

kbroderick

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2017
I would tend to disagree with the last statement. They are great in snow. Now ice on the other hand....they have a little to be desired. I have had HT, AT and MT tires on my trucks through the years and for ND winters and traveling to the mountains I prefer MT tires. Right now I have one diesel with Duratracs and one with Toyo MT's. Both trucks will get through snow very well, but the MT's definitely clean themselves better and will make it a little further in 2wd.

In deep, soft snow, sure. But on packed snow and ice—which is where more driving is for most people—a true snow tire is going to kick the crap out of any tire that has a year-round tread compound rather than a softer winter compound (and usually provide better feedback near the edge of traction).

I'm running studded Hakka LT2s in the winter and snowflake-rated ATs in the summer and fall. The LT2s aren't as good in deep snow, but that's a tiny percentage of my actual driving and tends to be lower-speed. Finding a patch of slickness while heading up 212 or across I-90 at highway speed is a lot more terrifying to me than having to work a little harder in the parking lot. YMMV, of course.

R
Apr 18, 2016
The other thing is Diesels squash out soft tires fast, I run E rated on the 12 valve and wont get anything too squishy or they cup out and then I'm through. I don't mind a little mud tire howl but driving on a set of cupped out anything and I'm done.

I put a set of these Cheepo Ironman MT's on my truck this year. 315/75/16 so a 35" and they have been great so far. I got them out of my buddies tire shop for like $550 full set mounted and balanced plus a tip for the boys so I was out about $600. they are studdable but I don't like tap shoes so I opted out of those. For whatever reason these things are working pretty good in the ice. Saturday morning on my way out there were cars and trucks sliding and ramming into everything, crashes everywhere. These things were blowing down the road great. I could stop and turn good...so far especially for the price I love them. Oh and actually we went with balancing beads on this one...the actual kind. On my old '59 crew cab I have a set of military tires I dumped a spray paint cap full of BB's into and they have felt great for years especially being a Biased Ply. They hop when they are cold but once warm drive good for what they are. On my 12 valve with the actual beads I am very happy so far. Even when I have mud and snow caked on them solid they still drive good down the interstate.

Premium Features