• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

A few '09 M8 questions

Dec 10, 2007
Iowa
So I finally made the jump of the the M series this year. Ended up getting a brand new/left over '09 M8 162. Made the jump from an '02 mountain cat 800 144, so I should have quite the upgrade. :cool: I am gonna get a can for this sled and was gonna get it on the sled before my trip out to Cooke or the snowies over thanksgiving break. A friend of mine told me that I need to wait until after break in on the motor until i can put the can on.

My questions are

- Do I need to break the motor in before I put a can on it?
- And also I was thinking about getting a Jaws can. What is your guys opinion on these cans? Any other suggestions?

There is a heat soak procedure for that engine that I would do before I did anything. Your dealer should have that information, if not tell him to go to A.C.'s dealer website and it is on there. I have seen engines fail from not having this procedure done.

Hope this helps, If there is anything else I can help you with just let me know.

Jeff

Dec 10, 2007
Iowa
Is this different from the "first tank" 100:1 gas to oil mix ran at lower rpms? My dealer told me when I went to pick it up that the break in procedure I needed to do was just the first tank with the mix. But I do remember reading something about putting the sled on a stand and running it until the heat light came on. Is this the heat soak procedure you are talking about? Thanks Jeff!

Cody

80arrow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2008
Grand Rapids MN
Congrats you will love the way these handle. Yeah that is what you are supposed to do is the heat soak thing. My friend and I also upgraded to 09 m8 last year from a king cat and a 1m and the dealer never told us this. We broke them in the old way with extra oil in the gas and they've been fine. I had a jawz on my old sled and I ended up wearing earplugs with it, it was sweet sounding but extremely loud.

thekrust

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
South Okanagan
Isn't that something the dealer should do before he lets a new sled out the door? In the owners manual it doesn't say anything about this. Just says to run oil mix and vary throttle blah blah blah-the usual break in stuff we all know.

Dec 10, 2007
Iowa
Congrats you will love the way these handle. Yeah that is what you are supposed to do is the heat soak thing. My friend and I also upgraded to 09 m8 last year from a king cat and a 1m and the dealer never told us this. We broke them in the old way with extra oil in the gas and they've been fine. I had a jawz on my old sled and I ended up wearing earplugs with it, it was sweet sounding but extremely loud.

I think I should enjoy the new sled. Hopefully I can get used to it quick lol. Gonna be a big change from the old sled! So you probably don't recommend the jaws can? I have seen a few vids on youtube of jaws cans on M8s and they sound pretty sweet but its hard to judge how loud they are. I had MBRP on my last sled and i didn't think it was very loud at all. But I have heard that jaws is a lot louder than that. I just hope if I get it that its not ridiculously loud. What kind of can do you have on your sled now?

Yes the procedure is the one where you put it on the stand and run it until the heat light comes on. Somewhere on here is the complete procedure for doing it. Like I said tell the dealer that the procedure is on A.C.'s dealer website.

Hope this helps Jeff

Thanks Jeff. I'll have to try to try and find that write up on here. Once I get back home from school for Thanksgiving break I'll have to stop at my dealer and ask him about it. I know they started the sled up and checked some things but I don't know if they did this heat soak thing. The sled only has 0.1 miles on it so I would think it would take a little more than that to warm the sled up that hot? But thanks again for the help!

Isn't that something the dealer should do before he lets a new sled out the door? In the owners manual it doesn't say anything about this. Just says to run oil mix and vary throttle blah blah blah-the usual break in stuff we all know.

I would have to agree. If they are not gonna include that information in the owners manual they should make sure to do this break in at the dealer before the send the sled out.

B
Jan 20, 2009
I broke my 09 m8 in By pinning the throttle to the bars and running it.A can wont hurt anything and jaws makes great stuff good choice!

W

wasatchcomm

Aug 17, 2009
Pinedale wy.
what he said..... (Braaap12)

unless the dealer did it before i picked it up.

dealer told me to try and stay out of wot for a little bit and vary the speed....

i of course varied the speed all the way out of the trailer, then it was wot

1400 miles and ran great...

S
Dec 29, 2008
White Salmon, WA
The guy from Magic Mtn was the one who posted the "dealer break in procedure" on somebody's thread. He said the sleds that did not have this procedure performed were the only ones coming back with problems. Call your dealer, tell them to look it up and perform the procedure. I think it is only 09, and maybe 10, but I don't think it was used on 07-08. BTW - I have a Jaws can on an 09 M8 sno pro and it sounds great - NOT too loud. My Rev (for sale) with an SLP can is WAY louder than the Jaws :beer;

80arrow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2008
Grand Rapids MN
Well so far my sled is all stock:eek:. I'm trying to get it payed off before I dump alot of $ into it. From what I've read I'm pretty sure I would go with the SLP kit. That's just my opinion. I'll probably put a seat and risers on it first. I think that the m1000 was more touchy about the break in procedure?? Could be wrong though.

Last edited:

northof40

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Saskatchewan
I put my can on with .2 miles on the odometer lol... it won't hurt a thing.

Also i have a jaws, its one of the lightest and loudest if thats what your looking for. I love mine. I did have some problems with a couple welds cracking last year but i called up jaws and they sent me out a brand new one out no charge They are excellent to deal with.

W
Oct 28, 2009
Central, MN
I bought a 09 m8 this year from dealer and have no knowledge of this break-in, I have family that is a Catmaster Mech. and he has not seen or heard, I will look deeper in to it. As cans go the SLP y-pipe pipe and can kits is great and not crazy loud.

M
Feb 5, 2009
Put a MBRP can on my 2009 M8 from day one. Did the break in with the can on, over 2000 miles last season, no problems at all. My dealer let me know about the break in. Better safe than sorry. Got my new 1000 in the garage, wondering if I need to do the break in on it?

Premium Features