• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New to me M1000 randomly dies off throttle wont restart right away, HELP

J
Aug 31, 2011
Maiden voyage over the weekend with my 07 M1000. Everything ran great until it started randomly die off idle, from a stop, with slight throttle and wouldnt want to restart until after a good 20-30 pulls.then it would gradually come back to life,spittng and sputtering, running alittle bit longer and cleaner, with every pull. First thought it was plugs, pulled and looked good, color brown and no wetness. It seemed like it wasnt getting the gas. I am thinking the TPS signal or something is screwing the PCM. Not getting any codes. No mods other than a can. Only had the 08 pcm update performed, needs the 09 flash. Earlier in the day it would start with one pull with slight throttle pressure. Re adjust the TPS?? Anything eles that may be a come problem to look for. Man I dont want to ride alone with this machine. I can barely move my arms today after pulling on that SOB. Its gonna leave me stranded if I dont get it fixed.

Last edited:

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Try unplugging temp sensor for one or 2 pulls, plug back in hold throttle open and see if it starts. Temp sensors sometimes go screwy on these when hot. I have 2 M1000 and 1 does it randomly so i put a switch on the sensor for when it does it. May not be issue but first thing I would check. Attitude even sells a kit for this situation.

Last edited:
A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Try unplugging temp sensor for one or 2 pulls, plug back in hold throttle open and see if it starts. Temp sensors sometimes go screwy on these when hot. I have 2 M1000 and 1 does it randomly so i put a switch on the sensor for when it does it. May not be issue but first thing I would check.

The water temp sensor??
My 08 M1K did about the same thing as the OP's randomly 2 yrs ago, but only on 2 rides. It would shut down mid stream jsut like you hit the kill switch. Part throttle, full throttle. Tossed me over the bars a couple times. By the time I'd pull apart elect connectors check for moisture, it would start back up 15-30 min later. Several times one day, couple times the next ride, then not at all last year.
It only did it after the sled had been ridden a while and was good and heat soaked.
Couple times it would try to sputter and start then no start. Had spark all the time just no fuel.
Have gone thru the wiring completely, dielectric grease connections, no bad grounds, bare wires (haven't pulled the gas tank though).

J

jaysonfreerider

Jul 18, 2008
Troy, MT
The water temp sensor??
My 08 M1K did about the same thing as the OP's randomly 2 yrs ago, but only on 2 rides. It would shut down mid stream jsut like you hit the kill switch. Part throttle, full throttle. Tossed me over the bars a couple times. By the time I'd pull apart elect connectors check for moisture, it would start back up 15-30 min later. Several times one day, couple times the next ride, then not at all last year.
It only did it after the sled had been ridden a while and was good and heat soaked.
Couple times it would try to sputter and start then no start. Had spark all the time just no fuel.
Have gone thru the wiring completely, dielectric grease connections, no bad grounds, bare wires (haven't pulled the gas tank though).

My 08 did the very same thing on my very first ride on it. Then i asked around and was told if you run the 91 UN-ethonol fuel, it could make it do this, and i should run 87 in it that has ethonol in it, so i tried that and it hasn't done it sence. Not sure if it was the problem or not...

here's the thread i started when this happend
http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269380

J
Aug 31, 2011
Mine only died right off idle. Just as I was giving it gas and it would puke. It was heat soaked at the time. Why would I need to add throttle to start? I will try the temp sensor trick...

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Could be the TSS (throttle safety switch) but it will do it right at 4000rpm and should start. I would lean toward the temp sensor, but at the same time not.

You need to check fuel pressure, ie install a gauge then if it does it you can check and then you will know, a pipe temp sensor can also cause all kinds of problems before they go out.

Also make sure coolant is full, put new plugs in anyway, and run 87 octane unless you have mods.

Do you have any mods, if you do it may make the temp sensor more likely.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Also, check the baro tube to make sure its not plugged. If it is the temp switch, what it does is reads hot and leans the sled out starving it for fuel, you can try and pressure up the baro tube and trick it into giving the sled more fuel.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
My 08 did the very same thing on my very first ride on it. Then i asked around and was told if you run the 91 UN-ethonol fuel, it could make it do this, and i should run 87 in it that has ethonol in it, so i tried that and it hasn't done it sence. Not sure if it was the problem or not...

here's the thread i started when this happend
http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269380

SOmeone was feeding you a line. No you don't need 91 octane....unless you need it (mods), but it won't cause the sled to not fire.
On mine, barometric tube not plugged, first thing I checked. TSS, disconnected it, ruled that out.
So it's the temp sender I guess.
Better than the old Polaris'. Had a temp sensor go out on it right after pulling it off the trailer. Dead sled, would not run, even bypassing the sensor. Needs a resistor to bypass or a new sensor. Lost a day's riding and a long @ss drive to get the part. Started packing a spare one after that.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
I have heard of them running like chit on 91 and then good on 87.

If it happens when it could be heat soaked I would look at the temp sensor, you should be able to ohms test it (if you want to check when it happens) but it also could be a lot of other things like a stator, pipe sensor, etc... good luck

J
Aug 31, 2011
I had lots of spark, just no gas. I just barely cracked the throttle and she would die...I was thinking TSS but I couldnt get it to act up while it was running...I think its the water temp sensor....

C
Jun 1, 2010
quesnel
it's youre TSS got a m1 to and it did the same stuff that youre did..it whould not start till my buddy hit my kill switch farly hard a fue times and fliped the throttle fue times then she started 1 pull..i think it's them lil contacts in the tss some times there just to close...the way i fixed mine was to loosen my throttle cable mabe 2mm but still getting full throttle....after that never did it agen..

thats what i whould try it's free.

Team Pigeon

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2006
Pass Creek, BC.
Does it start when cold?

Put a nice big *** snowball on your ecu when she heats up and won't start up. Cool that thing down. There's some sensor in there that'll f u over. If that's the case, like withersppon says, there's a kit to turn that switch off.

Throttle safety swich might maybe be the problem. Check the free play: you should be able to activate the micro switch in the throttle block without the flipper pulling on the throttle cable. There should be about a credit card gap worth.

J
Aug 31, 2011
I had loosen the the throttle cable a few turns at the carbs to free up a little slack for the telescopic bars I added. I bet its freaking the TSS. I will re adjust and throw new plugs at it....It ran great all day for 120 miles. next day after topping off the tank it started to die......

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
I had loosen the the throttle cable a few turns at the carbs to free up a little slack for the telescopic bars I added. I bet its freaking the TSS. I will re adjust and throw new plugs at it....It ran great all day for 120 miles. next day after topping off the tank it started to die......

make sure the throttle cable is all the way in the throttle block on the bars, they can get pulled out and you would never know in some cases other than it sometimes sets off the tss. Also I have heard of some filling up with gas and it happening from bad gas or water in fuel, run some "heat" through it, not a ton but enough, (it can lean it out a bit) The smart filters in the tank are supposed to stop water from entering the system, so you could have water build up in the tank causing it. HEAT (or something like it) or drain tank and put in good gas. Its worth doing even if its the "what if" factor.

A

ARICH

Dec 5, 2007
Had the exact same intermittent thing happen on my buddies 07 m8 last year in cooke, i dont remember which exact wires, but there were two wires that rubbed through right by the stator and would ground out on chassis from time to time causing the same conditions.
good luck

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Had the exact same intermittent thing happen on my buddies 07 m8 last year in cooke, i dont remember which exact wires, but there were two wires that rubbed through right by the stator and would ground out on chassis from time to time causing the same conditions.
good luck

I'll have to look, since the sleds are still beached, tore apart in the shop.
Mine was NOT the TSS, unplugged it. Not the stator I'm pretty sure because it hasn't done it in hundreds of miles now.

Premium Features