• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

King Cat - Need Help Please!!

cat4ever72

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
I have an 04 King Cat Carbed 162 Attack 20 powder position. Last year I rode it pretty much bone stock. At that time in Colorado around Tower or Rabbit Ears it would run around 80-87 mph top end across the meadows.
This year I decided to make some changes.
1) I adjusted the power valves to 38.5mm which is what i was told they should be (previously around 42.5mm).
2) I turned the track around to hillclimb position and put on new Hiperfax slide rails and replaced both lower bearings on the drive shaft.
3) I put new rollers, pins and bushings in the factory secondary clutch.

Now I just returned from Togwotee, Wy and am having some issues with my top end speed. The thing about pulls my arms off until 40-45 mph and then just flattens out to a top end of about 50 mph. I am really confused as to why it would be so much slower than it used to be. The primary clutch is all stock as it was in Colorado, and the secondary is set the same as well.
Please, anyone have any ideas why it would be 30-40 mph slower than before?
Thanks,
Chuck

T
Nov 28, 2007
Midwest
If you make the cable longer i think it will not open the valve as far? Flipping the track around could cause the reduced top end. You have a large fan pumping through the tunnel. Is your secondary tighter than it was last year. If you reduce the tension in your secondary you will gain top end. What hole are you in on your secondary?

Were you up at interlakes a two Saturdays ago? I was chatting with you about set up.

Ben

If you want to compare top end down here, my bud has an alfalfa field we could run yours against mine?

grayghost

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Montana
Leave your power valves at 38.5mm that is correct. You will lose top end speed with the attack 20 in the hillclimb position I have experienced this with several KK 30-40 is way excessive though, typically I have seen 10-15 mph difference. I think it has to do with the angel of the track basically scooping more air and creating a big fan effect. I would double check your power vavles though and make sure they are at 38.5mm from inside of the barrel to the cable sheath. Also check your clutching make sure you are not binding somewhere, look at your primary and make sure all of your o-rings are in place and your weights aren't rubbing on the spider. Just my 2cents hope this helps.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Leave your power valves at 38.5mm that is correct. You will lose top end speed with the attack 20 in the hillclimb position I have experienced this with several KK 30-40 is way excessive though, typically I have seen 10-15 mph difference. I think it has to do with the angel of the track basically scooping more air and creating a big fan effect. I would double check your power vavles though and make sure they are at 38.5mm from inside of the barrel to the cable sheath. Also check your clutching make sure you are not binding somewhere, look at your primary and make sure all of your o-rings are in place and your weights aren't rubbing on the spider. Just my 2cents hope this helps.

Like he said 38.5mm is the measurment of just the exposed cable. This does not include the lug.

Last edited:

cat4ever72

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Ben,

I am the guy you chatted with. I did indeed measure from the underside of the barrel to the cable housing end with the cable snug. The main thing I cannot understand is the RPM's are running perfect in the power band (7400-7800)
Also,
I pulled the primary clutch off and am going to go through it and make sure everything is in good working order (I personally don't believe it is the primary clutch causing the problem, because I took a marker prior to riding it and there is only about a 1/4" mark on the far outside edge of the sheave left where the belt hasn't wore it off)
I was told by a Cat Rider in Tog who said I am trying to pull to steep of a Helix. It is stock (I believe 55/53). He said to try a SLP Dual Pitch Helix something like 55/45 and use a Green Sno Pro spring. Anyone else heard of this combination? If so I am willing to change Helix and Spring if anyone thinks it will help.
If I understand this right the First number is the Low Gear which will still pull as hard as it does now. The Second number is the High Gear and if it is a lower number than now it will allow the clutch shift easier and pull better on the top end.
Anyone else have other ideas?
Thanks, Chuck
Ben PM me when you get a chance. Maybe I could give you a call and we can talk more.

Meatman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
i run the green snopro spring 2nd hole i believe correct me if im wrong 00buck and a straight 53 i don't remember what im running for weights. havent even looked at my sled since last season. im curious about the powervalves I've never heard of that, what does it do? how do you do it?

Premium Features