• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Custom Viper Build

M
Mar 13, 2009
St mary's IA
OK everyone in triple heaven here is what I got so I thought I would share. I love reading build up articles on this site but don't find too many 2-stroke yamaha ones. Here is what I have started: 2002 yamaha viper, 10 miles on rebuild, new (stock) head, new pistons, Hauck Husher triple pipes, hauck clutch kit (I know this sled was set up for the flatlands) That is it so far for motor stuff. I am adding dial a jets to the carbs and need some help with the jetting for 8000-11000 feet. Also need some help with clutching and what setups are good in this sled, is a roller secondary the way to go or stick with the hauck setup and spring accordingly?? I have 7 tooth extroverts, 162" attack 20 track, 9" Idaho precision machine rear idlers, 2010 artic cat 162" rails, going to run a transfer enhancement kit, arctic cat crossfire rear cooler, custom made tunnel extension, 8" RSI risers and race bar, Powermadd grab bar, powermadd handguards, Slydog skis. I plan on modding the proaction rear suspension to fit the rails. I have already started this task and bolt up will be ok, it looks like my big problem will be where to place the skid. I am also building a custom motocross monoshock seat ( i hate the way the viper seat looks on these sleds. I have been following the site for a while and enjoy comments and pictures under the show me your mountain max thread. Any comments or help is greatly appreciated as I am heading to Centennial on March 16th. This is my 2nd build for the year as I am taking my 13 year old step son out west for the first time. He will be riding a vmax 500 that has been converted to a mountain max by transfering all mountain max parts from a wrecked sled to his vmax

2010_0118pixSled0016.jpg

2010_0118pixSled0019.jpg

2010_0118pixSled0022.jpg[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• 2010_0118pixSled0018.jpg
    2010_0118pixSled0018.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 383
M
Mar 13, 2009
St mary's IA
Thanks Scott1 I remember a few years back seeing tons of custom vipers out west. I am kind of old school (i have 5 kids so a new nytro is out of the question) and I like custom stuff, stock is not 4 me.

M
Jan 15, 2008
Whitehorse Yukon
You would be alot happier with a holtzman ATACC then with the dial jets.
ATACC automatically compensates for altitude and temperature.
If it is not to late I would return the dial jets and get an ATACC.
For 2 stroke builds and tons of info try Totally Yamaha.

M
Mar 13, 2009
St mary's IA
I had the Atacc system on a paddletracked mxz670 and I loved it, just seemed like at the trailering point 7800ft to 11000 ft it was stretched to its limits up high, (seemed fat at that high altitude). Also when I would get big air with the sled almost vertical it cut out a little. I thought the dial a jet would allow me to adjust more. M-Max you bring up a good point and I struggled with the decision. I may change as the dial a jets were new but I got them at a used price. A race team had them and they didn't work for their application. Any other thoughts about the dial a jet would be great. Thanks

neverenoughsnow

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 1999
Omaha, Ne.
mod sleds rule

Looks awesome, nice fabrication. cant wait to see it done. im glad you didnt mod out the (yellow) sled. lol. March is coming up fast are you gonna be ready.

TRIPLESWILLNEVERDIE!

Lifetime Membership
Feb 19, 2008
Northwest, MT
On your suspension you might be better off with some shorter rails for what you are doing. Using the 162 cat rails with the Yamaha components would require mounting the skid a little farther forward than what would be ideal for ending up with a good approach angle. Basically what you want to do is have that front w arm mounted in the same position in your tunnel as a 2000 MM H arm would be. If you can basically copy the geometry and mounting points of the 2000 and up MM it will work fine but I am thinking you will need the 153 rails or some MM 141 with extensions. also RX-1 MT 151 rails with short extensions would be a good choice. Mabey you can make things work with what you have though. Oh, and also Do Not! put a transfer enhancement in the skid unless you want track tension issues and overtransfering especially if you are running that A20 in HC position.

Honestly though if I had a set of cat 162 rails I'd just go buy the rest of the M series suspension to go with them and scrap the Yami skid.

Also, the attack 20 will need to be trimmed to fit in there with the 7 tooth drivers. You might be better off to sell that 3" pitch track and get a 2.52" pitch 2" track and run eight tooth 2.52" drivers. I assume your stock drivers were 9's. If you have your heart set on running the attack 20 "which is a great track in HC postition" then you should consider dropping and rolling the chaincase or better yet going with an extended chaincase so you have the clearance to run that track without any trimming.
Hope this helps. Nice job on the tunnel extension too.:beer;:beer;

looks like TWND has you covered with some good info, follow his advice. best for that sled is either a d&r or chaincase extension. i do disagree on the A20, i hated that track almost as much as the series V 155 i switched it for. challenger extreme is my next choice, although i havent experienced it yet.

Last edited:
M
Mar 13, 2009
St mary's IA
Who does the drop and roll templates?? I am this far i better make it right. Thanks TWND a lot of good info. also I have fabbed some drop brackets and they have a 4.5" drop from standard is this too much? Thanks. Any one know of a AC skid out there cheap??

your going on a hunt for the d&r. those who used to have it were mpi and northern lites. a little schmooze with mpi may or may not produce results. nl is gone as far as i know. check fabcraft or vanamberg. or wait till summer and copy mine. who in there right mind waits until riding season to do mods when there is nothing to do in the non-snow months?

TRIPLESWILLNEVERDIE!

Lifetime Membership
Feb 19, 2008
Northwest, MT
Agreed snowdad4. The Camo extreme is the best track out there right now IMO. The A20 is a pretty darn good track if ran in HC position though and it really is not as bad fast coming downhill as people make them out to be. Not any worse than the old Challenger floppy style 156 tracks. You can also get the A20's cheaper than just about any other track out there.

mtndreamer... If you want some info on drop and roll templates or even one of my extended chaincase kits PM me and I'll get you lined out. Either way you want to go I can get you hooked up. I actually have a chaincase for the old MPI drop and roll I was going to swapmeet so If your on a buget and already have 7 tooth drivers that might be the way to go for yor situation.
Northern Lites is non-existent anymore and MPI quit doing the custom tunnels with D&R a while back but if you talk to the right guy there they may be able to help you. Hope this helps. :)

P

pedak07

Nov 28, 2007
As i have said before, if your gonna do a d&r just get one of Triples chaincase extensions, they are great, i installed mine about a month ago and it was extremely simple, his craftsmanship is amazing not to mention extremely detailed instruction, hope that helps, nice build! gotta get some pics of mine up soon as well

neverenoughsnow

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 1999
Omaha, Ne.
is the sled done?

who in there right mind waits until riding season to do mods when there is nothing to do in the non-snow months?

I cant stop laughing. My sled is tore apart, too. Are we stupid? lets just hurry up and get them done, i should have my motor in next week.

100_1893.jpg

M
Mar 13, 2009
St mary's IA
I'm from Iowa, no mountains here!!!

your going on a hunt for the d&r. those who used to have it were mpi and northern lites. a little schmooze with mpi may or may not produce results. nl is gone as far as i know. check fabcraft or vanamberg. or wait till summer and copy mine. who in there right mind waits until riding season to do mods when there is nothing to do in the non-snow months?

That is funny SNOWDAD4, Sounds like you have kids too?? I have 5 and the off season of snowmobiling is extremely busy, not to mention my wife and I run a construction company and i have been building cabinets in the garage the last month. I should get moving better in the next few weeks so I will post pics and areas where I need help. Thanks

M
Mar 13, 2009
St mary's IA
New Pics!!!

Got the cooler mounted in the extension and Fabbed myself some drop brackets out of 1/2" aluminum, Grooved out to fit around coolers, made them on my table saw!?! Also I included a pic of these 9" idlers from idaho precision machine (i am still impressed with their quality and especially their price!!) Thanks again to all who are followin, any tips, tricks, advice is more than greatly appreciated

2010_0118pixSled0023.jpg

2010_0127pixSled10007.jpg

2010_0127pixSled10008.jpg

2010_0127pixSled10010.jpg

2010_0127pixSled10011.jpg

..SNAKEBIT..

Lifetime Membership
Jun 24, 2004
Iowa
I noticed your front skid plate, I had one on my Viper and it thru snow out the side like CRAZY. I took a sawzall and cut the drop loop off under the radius rods that seemed to cure the problem

What are the big holes in the top of the tunnel for?
duh, for an eight pack. he hasnt got around to installing the stealth icognegro hinged cover or the rack under. what a great concept, the snow off the track keeps your beverage chilled. add some ice scratchers just to insure cold beverage on hard pack days, and some light padding to control fizz on the carbonated cans. just kidding. as for the above posts, yes i have 4 kids, who ride like maniacs and tear stuff up constantly, run a construction company,have a wife that tears things up constantly, but i do make time to get the sled work done. its the stress reliever for me. alone in the garage with a sled, keeps me sane(or not) and my mind on the snow.

Premium Features