• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

King cat intake mystery?

R
Dec 28, 2007
Hey all.
Here is my problem. Stock 04 king cat except for a gutted airbox and muffler. Sled is sucking in snow or steam and will not run after a little deep snow riding. There seems to be alot of condensation in the airbox also some pooling water in the bottom. The weird part is I have NEVER had a problem with this for three seasons, and I have not changed a thing! All the foam is in the correct spots etc. Good fuel, new plugs,fuel filter, and tank filter. I have been through the carbs. No ice or water in them. Clean. Maybe something else? As I have not had a problem before maybe it's always had that water in the box, never looked. Black box? I have chased down every intake possibility. When it's running it runs great. Until the bogging starts.
Any help would be so helpfull as it's been dumping.
Randy

Meatman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
go with filterpods...runnin them on my 04 king with zero problems.

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
You're getting the steam from the pipe sucked into the intakes on the inside just oppisite of the leg ones. I to tuct tape mine off to keep my 44 mm roundslides from freezing.

I don't agree with the previous reply. Warm air from under the hood will rob HP. I use a snorkel to take air through the speedo hole and put prefilter material over the intakes by your knees.

Owen

Last edited:
S
Nov 27, 2007
I ran a previous sled with filters under hood and hated it, couldnt ride in powder.
My 03 had "the bog". the SLP airbox and sealing around exhaust worked good. This year I made a front dump exhaust which exits in the fenderwell which is a huge inprovement.
Theres also alot of forum posts about leaning the sled out to help with the bog, I installed an ATACC to help with a rich issue this year and installed "Outerwears" in airbox lower inlet and between the SLP airbox opening and hood. I rode this thing in DEEP snow last week to where hood was always covered and NO problems sidehilling to the right.
Outerwear everything and make sure exhaust outlet is sealed and not hanging too low below belly pan. I second keeping airbox.
There are A TON of posts on this topic, good luck

R
Dec 28, 2007
Thanks guys. Yes all the foam is in place on the stock intake. I will of course take all the appropriate actions to seal her up. I just cannot understand why this is all of a sudden a problem after 3 seasons with the same setup.
I mean this thing ran great in bottomless pow, and now i'm afraid to make a couple of turns.
I'll keep ya posted.
Randy

Meatman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I have been runnin pods for 2 seasons and havent run into any problems. no bog problems, no hot air problems plus I get more airflow than with the stock airbox on my 2004 kingcat...My EGTs can't even tell the difference, the run betweem 1150 and 1250 with or without pods

I had the same problem with my 04 King Cat carb, bogging and loss of power, installed a new water temp sensor run like a million bucks, just a thought it cured my bogging and low power problem!!! Good Luck!

shaun897

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2008
Minnesota
I have an 03 mountain cat 800 efi and also had a 02 mountain cat 800 carb we have had troubles with that on 1 trip happened to 3 of the sleds on the trip our 2 and 1 buddies we brought one down the hill to have it checked over they called them snow dogs it was just the type of snow we were riding in that time i would recommend putting that black mesh that keeps snow out of your intake you can get it from SLP as a kit thats what i have now runs great

Premium Features