• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mountain Max Gurus- I need your help!

I
Sep 19, 2005
harlem montana
Guys, I've got an 01 Mountain max 700, hauck triple pipes, V-Force Reeds. The sled has 1100 miles on it. Recently it has developed a problem. When you peg the throttle, it pulls really hard and runs flawlessly. When you let off of the throttle, and try to get back into it, it will not even go. It sits at 3000 rpm idle and will not pull out of it. If you choke it, it will go back to 1500 rpm idle, and then run like a champ. When you peg it after this problem occurs, it just sits there and goes bing, bing, bing. Help please!!!!!

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
Mine was doing the same thing last year. It was the throttle switch on the carbs causing my problem. You can unplug the wires and connect the wires back into each other on the harness side to see if it goes away. If your throttle cable I holding the carbs open a little it will do the same thing too. Make sure when you let off the throttle there is still a small amount of slack in the cable.

Good luck

opel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Harlowton, MT
Ditto as above check the TORS, and your left hand throttle to make sure it is not holding the cable up.

Z

zoombyu

Jan 13, 2009
North Dakota
Have you cleaned carbs lately? Carbs are one of the most common issues. If it idles, try this trick. Pull wire off a spark plug, one at a time, then replace. Do each cylinder. Listen each time you do, that it makes about the same difference in how it runs. If you have one that you pull off that doesn't make much difference in the way it runs, that plug, cylinder, carb, wire, etc. would be suspect. It would not be fireing as well as it should. I would start with a new plug on that cylinder to see if it helps. We have also had bad caps that we have had to replace. They need to have a certain spec for resistance. Not exactly sure of spec offhand. If you haven't cleaned carbs in a while, most definately, get them cleaned. If you pull the carbs to clean, for maintainence, check the reeds for cracks or chips. As the others said, TORS can be an issue too. You can check that by pulling the wires at the carbs and plugging them into each other to complete the circuit. Make sure choke is going all the way off, by inspecting attachments at sides of carbs. My money would be on the carbs, and/or a little moisture in your fuel (get some Isopropyl). Good luck with your troubleshoot. Totallyamaha has a lot of info, including good instructions on carb cleanings. Let us know what you find.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
My son's MM700 is kind of doing the same thing. It is stick except for the Bender exhaustr canister. It runs and sounds awesome down in the lower elevations (3-4,000 feet) up higher at 6,000 feet it climbs like crazy at 8,500 RPM for 3 or so wide open runs up the mountain and then it will fall flat on its face on the 4th run. It will blubber and bog and then eventually clean out and run ok again.

Could it be as easy as the mains are too big?

Ford428CJ

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2009
Klamath Falls, Oregon
My son's MM700 is kind of doing the same thing. It is stick except for the Bender exhaustr canister. It runs and sounds awesome down in the lower elevations (3-4,000 feet) up higher at 6,000 feet it climbs like crazy at 8,500 RPM for 3 or so wide open runs up the mountain and then it will fall flat on its face on the 4th run. It will blubber and bog and then eventually clean out and run ok again.

Could it be as easy as the mains are too big?

As posted above, you could have water in the fuel! If you run pump gas (like I do) it will collect moisture from the air. I would recommend that you use Star Tron (if your running Ethanol based fuel).

http://mystarbrite.com/startron/

Good stuff and I use it all the time with no ill effects!

Premium Features