• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

900 limp mode help please!!

J
Jan 6, 2010
i was out riding on some icy trails last week and had to ride some road to get back to the truck and my 05 900 started to backfire and run real crappy,i think it was going in and out of limp mode not sure what the temp was but i know it was hot. now when i start it,it will idle like #*@* but if i keep it running it will clear up for a few then come back ,my question is ,is it possible to get stuck in limp mode do i have to reset it ,or any other ideas what it could be any help would be greatly appreciated i am trying to ride this weekend if i can get it fixed

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Are there any check engine lights flashing?

Kinda hard to say what kind of damage was done if you dont know just how hot you got it:(

My first guess would be you melted the O-rings in the head and are burning coolant.

Have you lost any coolant?

Last edited:
J
Jan 6, 2010
it only got to 180 iknow thats hot but not hot enough to melt o rings and there were no lights flashing i scanned it and there were no codes

P
Feb 22, 2009
does the speedo have a memory option in it to view high temps and such like the RPMS ? maybe that will help you confirm the temps,

F

FatBoyzfrenchy

Nov 26, 2007
Has your tps harness even looked at?
If not, I suggest you have a good look at it for open circuit at the connector into the tps sensor. It is a common problem with the wiring of the tps.
FBF.

J
Jan 6, 2010
problem solved!!!!!it did get hot but that was not the problem it turned out to be the plastic connection in the fuel tank that connects the the pump and the regulator came appart and was running crazy fuel pressure causing the injectors to fail, reconected and sled runs stronger than ever thank you all very much for your help

J
Jan 6, 2010
i could keep it running for short times,when it was running i pulled the plug wires off and found that only the mag side was working but the pto side was still getting good spark and both cylinders had good compression so that narrows it down to a fuel issue ,i thought i had a bad or plugged injector so i checked the fuel filter before i pulled the moter out and when i disconnected the filter it shot off like a rocket which ment there was way to much pressure in the lines so then i took a look at the regulator and found the problem i hope this can help someone in the future

S

sno_mo_racer

Oct 28, 2009
Kugluktuk Nunavut
Thanks..

i could keep it running for short times,when it was running i pulled the plug wires off and found that only the mag side was working but the pto side was still getting good spark and both cylinders had good compression so that narrows it down to a fuel issue ,i thought i had a bad or plugged injector so i checked the fuel filter before i pulled the moter out and when i disconnected the filter it shot off like a rocket which ment there was way to much pressure in the lines so then i took a look at the regulator and found the problem i hope this can help someone in the future

Good to know if this ever happens somewhere down the road....

Premium Features