• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Another Baofeng Thread: BF-F8HP vs UV-82HP?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Eight month update: radio died in late June. Turned on, all looked fine, 10 minutes later went to do a communication check and there was nothing; totally dead. Replaced under warranty, no questions asked (bought from Baofeng Tech, US based distributor). I would have liked to know what failed, but didn't want to crack it open to see & lose my warranty coverage. 5 months of 1-2 times a week use, then once or twice a month for two months, and dead. Not too great. I realize issues happen and glad it was covered but that is rather poor reliability.
well, at least it didn't cost you a couple hundred dollars..

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
I am a huge fan of the Baofeng radios. Have 3 of the UV5R-V2+, and use them for ATV and sled riding. I had one that the headset jack started having issues, and got it replaced with the warranty (no cost to me). I plan to add a longer antenna (Nagoya NA-771) and let it stick out of my backpack a little (6" or so), since it is very flexible. Hoping this will give me a bit more range.

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho
You'd be better off, in my opinion, by adding a counterpoise. Think of it as the missing half of the antenna. If your radios have the 7"ish antenna, I'd stick with it. I have tried several antennae and have found the best to be stock. Go to miklor.com for more baofeng info.

Set your radio so that most of the antenna sticks out of your pack. Use a niteize s binder to hold the zipper tabs together. They make some really small s binders for keys that work great on zipper tabs.

On the bf8hp, press and hold "0" key will display battery voltage. Use the key pad lock function to prevent channel changes while riding.
I am a huge fan of the Baofeng radios. Have 3 of the UV5R-V2+, and use them for ATV and sled riding. I had one that the headset jack started having issues, and got it replaced with the warranty (no cost to me). I plan to add a longer antenna (Nagoya NA-771) and let it stick out of my backpack a little (6" or so), since it is very flexible. Hoping this will give me a bit more range.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
You'd be better off, in my opinion, by adding a counterpoise. Think of it as the missing half of the antenna. If your radios have the 7"ish antenna, I'd stick with it. I have tried several antennae and have found the best to be stock. Go to miklor.com for more baofeng info.

Set your radio so that most of the antenna sticks out of your pack. Use a niteize s binder to hold the zipper tabs together. They make some really small s binders for keys that work great on zipper tabs.

On the bf8hp, press and hold "0" key will display battery voltage. Use the key pad lock function to prevent channel changes while riding.

Would the counterpoise be on the inside or outside of the backpack?

Wintertime

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2014
Casper, WY
I leave mine in my pack. I ran that setup all last year seems to work well. I use the radios most when out with my Wife. We have good range, also use them mountain biking in the summer.

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho
The instructions for the counterpoise say to connect it at the antenna. That works just fine however, I like to trim the base of the antenna sleeve. Lets the antenna seat to the right depth. Alternatively, you can connect it to the belt clip screw. Easier and cleaner.

Use very fine stranded wire with silicon insulation for longer life. Also put a short length of shrink tube at the connector for strain relief. Wire gauge doesn't matter.

Placing the radio with the antenna out of the pack keeps it higher and the rf energy doesn't have to penetrate your shovel etc. Every little bit helps.

GBrown

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
The instructions for the counterpoise say to connect it at the antenna. That works just fine however, I like to trim the base of the antenna sleeve. Lets the antenna seat to the right depth. Alternatively, you can connect it to the belt clip screw. Easier and cleaner.

Use very fine stranded wire with silicon insulation for longer life. Also put a short length of shrink tube at the connector for strain relief. Wire gauge doesn't matter.

Placing the radio with the antenna out of the pack keeps it higher and the rf energy doesn't have to penetrate your shovel etc. Every little bit helps.

I just bought a BF-F8HP after being frustrated by the lack of range on my BCA for a couple years.

What should the length of the counterpoise wire be cut to and does that change with frequency and antenna length? I’ve seen some website say 19.5” but I didn’t know if that’s universal for all applications. I’m using the BCA frequencies (462.XXX or 467.XXX) and I bought the longer 15.6” N-771 antenna. Would you stick with the stock antenna and counterpoise even though I’ve already got the longer one or use the long one with a counterpoise as well?

Thanks!

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho
I just bought a BF-F8HP after being frustrated by the lack of range on my BCA for a couple years.

What should the length of the counterpoise wire be cut to and does that change with frequency and antenna length? I’ve seen some website say 19.5” but I didn’t know if that’s universal for all applications. I’m using the BCA frequencies (462.XXX or 467.XXX) and I bought the longer 15.6” N-771 antenna. Would you stick with the stock antenna and counterpoise even though I’ve already got the longer one or use the long one with a counterpoise as well?

Thanks!
Go ahead and use the counter poise with your longer antenna. There is a formula to determine the length. A little googling should find it for you. For uhf, the counter poise is not as important, as it is for vhf.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
I am ordering (4) BaoFeng UV-82HP's. It's looking like the 15 watt radio didn't materialize?

Any mic recommendations? Is the BaoFeng mic good enough? Other options? Kenwood?

Has anybody checked the SWR on the different available antennas? Been out of this game for years and in the past, some of the longer antennas had worse SWR making them useless.

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho
I have been using the baofengs for 5 years.
Imho, the 7"ish, stock antenna is good enough.

Get the ftdi programming cable.

Cps: chirp. The frs/gmrs/murs freqs will be in one of the pull downs.
1st thing is to dl from the radio and save it. This gives you a way to start over if you vertically fornicate the programming process.

Good luck

Premium Features