• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snow Stuffed Yz450f airbox problem

A

Adobe-Al

Nov 9, 2008
Montrose,Co
I blocked off the front shroud holes and drilled holes in the side.(covered them with frogskin) In about 2 1/2 to 3 feet of powder. Very cold 0 and 11 k elevation. Bike ran like crap.How is this much snow is getting in?

20161226_192441.jpg

Last edited:
H
Nov 14, 2016
Golden, BC
there's holes in the airbox, facing down at the engine, near the air temp sensor...it's hard to cover them but doable...snow comes in everywhere like a mist, keep an eye on it, make sure your vents aren't open or torn..my buddy drilled the holes on the outside of the air scoops, never tore them.. i built a cold air intake with automotive store supplies: ie, rad hoses and exhaust inserts..i removed the filter and cage and ran a hose straight out the top of the airbox cover..never gets plugged.. the filter is an ATV foam with the foam removed..on top, a snow proof cover..there's a few options out there, keep looking..
dscn2210.jpg

A

Adobe-Al

Nov 9, 2008
Montrose,Co
there's holes in the airbox, facing down at the engine, near the air temp sensor...it's hard to cover them but doable...snow comes in everywhere like a mist, keep an eye on it, make sure your vents aren't open or torn..my buddy drilled the holes on the outside of the air scoops, never tore them.. i built a cold air intake with automotive store supplies: ie, rad hoses and exhaust inserts..i removed the filter and cage and ran a hose straight out the top of the airbox cover..never gets plugged.. the filter is an ATV foam with the foam removed..on top, a snow proof cover..there's a few options out there, keep looking..
dscn2210.jpg

You Rock! I didn't even notice those holes. I"m sure that accounts for a lot of that snow. I have eyeball this so many times and never realized those holes fed directly into the box.
My mouth dropped wide open when I looked at them. THANKS:face-icon-small-hap
PS. This is on a 2011 YZ450F

Last edited:
A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
I'll have to have a look at mine. '11yz450
I used a couple sticky frog skins over the front radiator shroud air inlets and pre filter in place of the foam filter on the filter cage. Have had zero bogging issues even in snorkel deep snow.
But then I'm at less than half the altitude so I'm automatically pulling "more" air in.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Also snow makes it past the skins... It helps but even on my pod intake snow mist will get past and plug up the filter after a long day
.. I started putting a baggy Dry filter over the tight one on my set up.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
R
Dec 27, 2015
I have 2 YZ450's. A 2013 and a 2014. I had the same issue last year on the deep days. I bought 2 intake pod setups from Toby Till at Rocky Mountain Snow MX. They work great! Yesterday was really really deep!! Both bikes ran great. Towards the end of the day the 2013 did start to act like the filter was plugging and come to find out snow was getting past the pre filter. I cleaned it up and no more problem. I am gonna try running a 2nd pre filter like some of the previous posters suggested. Good luck!

Premium Features