• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

First Ride on my new snowbike Vid

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
Anything you can do to keep case temps up will help the issue the most. While a fuel controller is great and all, the root cause of the problem is not getting enough heat in the case. That fine powdery ice crystal snow we ride in saps heat from the aluminum case so fast it's insane. Any kind of skid plate, closed cell foam between the case and the plate, case shielding.... anything helps. Keep the temps up, the rings will seal better, and you'll get far less blow-by.

Oct 16, 2012
BC
yes what Rush said.

I have a farly large front snow deflector that wraps to the left side of the bike and fairly big plastic skid plate and rear snow splash guard (from the track throwing snow forwards) and block the rads as needed and I have no problems keeping temps up even in powder, now I just have to figure the best temp to keep the bike at.

N
Jun 9, 2008
Post Falls, Idaho
NO FAIR! I went on my first ride this Sunday and I didn't have all those nice easy slopes and open glades to practice in. Unfortunately the snow conditions are so bad that we have to go up in the mountains, so it was trial by fire for me. Still had a blast, although I dropped it a few more times than that. Luckily I went with some great riders that babysat me all day. Still working on the video.

A

Adobe-Al

Nov 9, 2008
Montrose,Co
Anything you can do to keep case temps up will help the issue the most. While a fuel controller is great and all, the root cause of the problem is not getting enough heat in the case. That fine powdery ice crystal snow we ride in saps heat from the aluminum case so fast it's insane. Any kind of skid plate, closed cell foam between the case and the plate, case shielding.... anything helps. Keep the temps up, the rings will seal better, and you'll get far less blow-by.

Rush-thanks for the info, my airbox was 3/4 full as well. Do you have any pics? Also the air temp was about 6 degrees F

A

Adobe-Al

Nov 9, 2008
Montrose,Co
yes what Rush said.

I have a farly large front snow deflector that wraps to the left side of the bike and fairly big plastic skid plate and rear snow splash guard (from the track throwing snow forwards) and block the rads as needed and I have no problems keeping temps up even in powder, now I just have to figure the best temp to keep the bike at.

How much does a rad block(plastic in front of radiator right?) help?

A

Adobe-Al

Nov 9, 2008
Montrose,Co
NO FAIR! I went on my first ride this Sunday and I didn't have all those nice easy slopes and open glades to practice in. Unfortunately the snow conditions are so bad that we have to go up in the mountains, so it was trial by fire for me. Still had a blast, although I dropped it a few more times than that. Luckily I went with some great riders that babysat me all day. Still working on the video.

Niskibum-thanks for letting me know my ride was an easy one. I thought I was getting crazy:face-icon-small-coo I will try and get more extreme riding on vid next time. Lighting was very bad this ride and one guy hit a large rock 10 mins. into the ride. That kinda cooled everybody off from going crazy!

N
Jun 9, 2008
Post Falls, Idaho
Sorry, didn't mean to suggest that your ride was too easy Adobe-Al, only that mine was a bit more that a person of my limited skills was prepared for on the first go. Hopefully getting out of my comfort zone will help me before I do some serious damage. :face-icon-small-hap

Premium Features