• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lower Gearing 19/43

D
Mar 20, 2009
2011 pro with 3000 miles with 18/43 gears and still original belt that looks good.All mountain miles with most off trail ,when you get stuck you don't have to slip the belt to get out.

beamslayer

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I have been running the 19/43 and have had no issues and it pulls hard .

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
20/41 is stock

TRS...did you try checking full shift out with lesser gears than 19/46?

Seems pretty extreme at 2.42:1

What pitch chain are you using with those combos?

How close is the chain on the bottom sprocket to the case?

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
20/41 is stock

How close is the chain on the bottom sprocket to the case?[/QU

I hope the guys we have installed this in or have themselves will chime in here. It will give you their perspective. I don't know of one that will or has changed it. This is for 8-10,000'.
With the stock primary clutch the 19-46 works. If you had Dan, Carls, or someone else cut your clutches the 20-46 is better. The 46 you get from Team. It is to bad they don't make the LWT race gear in this size. 74 pitch(3221109) works with the 19 and 20. Plenty of room at the bottom of the case. Started running this combo in 2011. FYI, I did try the 1332266 Race roller assembly/ tightener, it rattles in the chain case.

I'm off to see the wizard, I need some 3" charge tube.

Last edited:

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
MH,
Your last post was on my phone. But I don't see it here.
74 pitch chain with 19-46 or 20-46
Stock drivers with either the stock track or the 9105.

A
Oct 17, 2010
The 19/45 19/46 works very well. I've been running 19/45 in my 07 600 163 since it was new. I have the 19/46 gearing in my pro and it is unreal. It runs great on the hill and still has enough speed for the road.Its a must try for evryone riding a polaris raw or pro you will be amazed.

mtnclimber19

Lifetime Membership
Mar 13, 2008
Sheridan, wy
20/41 is stock

How close is the chain on the bottom sprocket to the case?

I think the pros came with 20/42 stock didn't they? I'm actually running 18/44 in mine with a 163 which is pretty much the same ratio as 19/46 but you can use the stock chain still. I've been pretty happy with it, I even tried switching back to 19/43 this season and found myself putting the 18/44 back in a few weeks later. Even that low it will still hit 70+ down the trail.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Type O.... Good catch. 20/42 ... still have the gears in a zip-lock on the bench.

I installed the race tensioner as well... Just got it from freeagent...hope the rattle is not too bad or I'll be going with the 2005 900 RMK version which doesn't rattle.

=====================
For the sake of discussion.
At a certain point though, you can have too low of ratio that you cant take advantage of.

Logic has it... If you are shifting all the way out on the primary (the belt rides out all the way on the primary) during most of your riding... then you should stop gearing down... past that point you are loosing track speed... kind of like running your truck in 3rd gear for too long. For the individual setup of the sled, state of tune, clutching, track, drivers, altitude etc... gear down till you shift out fully.. and stop there.

Track-speed as in "clawing at the snow in an effort to keep moving" and not track-speed as in "ripping down the trail"

Thoughts???

Last edited:
R

RideEightyFive

Nov 20, 2012
If I'm not mistaken since 2012 BRP has been using 19/49(154) and 19/51(163) and I just read in the latest snowest that for 2014 cat will be running 19/50 in the M's. I wonder if this has anything to do with the increased belt life XP and XM riders have been seeing over the last 2 years and if this will improve cats belt life as well. This really makes me wonder what the reasoning behind why Polaris has such a high gear ratio? Why does a mountain sled have to be geared to do 80mph+, when the only place you will ever get even close to that is on the trail? I browsed through a thread in the turbo section on track speeds and found that most, in decent snow were in the Low to mid 60mph range.
TRS is 46 the biggest bottom gear you can go in a stock chain case? Did you have to change your clutching much for your 19/46?

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Sooooo throwing the 13s into the discussion with Quick Drive pulleys.

Anyone making changes to those yet?

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Type O.... Good catch. 20/42 ... still have the gears in a zip-lock on the bench.

I installed the race tensioner as well... Just got it from freeagent...hope the rattle is not too bad or I'll be going with the 2005 900 RMK version which doesn't rattle.

=====================
For the sake of discussion.
At a certain point though, you can have too low of ratio that you cant take advantage of.

Logic has it... If you are shifting all the way out on the primary (the belt rides out all the way on the primary) during most of your riding... then you should stop gearing down... past that point you are loosing track speed... kind of like running your truck in 3rd gear for too long. For the individual setup of the sled, state of tune, clutching, track, drivers, altitude etc... gear down till you shift out fully.. and stop there.

Track-speed as in "clawing at the snow in an effort to keep moving" and not track-speed as in "ripping down the trail"

Thoughts???

19-46:It has a 75mph top speed at a 1:1 at 8250 RPM. Will hit 81-82 mph on the trail.
We will use a stock sled with stock clutching for ease of comparison.There have been a lot of changes in our primary clutch over the last decade. Pin height, roller size, and sheave angles to name a few. With that said Polaris has not really changed its ramp profile for this new clutch configuration. IMO this is one reason PI gears to high. But that is another topic.
I think we are all boondockers and not road racers. Camoplast dictates the sustained max of 74 mph on their lug tracks anyway.
Lets say for all practical purposes the average track speed while hillclimbing is 43 mph. Boondocking hard in the trees 35-40 mph. Sidhilling 35-43 mph.
If you are geared to high(stock gearing IMO) your belt spends most of the time in the bottom 1/4 to 1/3 of your primary. Not much grip from the primary on the belt down there. Where can it backshift to? Remember the stock helix is a 58-42-.36 and a stout spring to hold RPM. Basically you only have room for upshift. When it backshifts to gain momentum and track speed it has to try and overcome the 58-42 transition. You were on the edge of the 42 and now slipped to the 58. Hard to overcome that big a change in helix angle. This is evident when inspecting clutches, the black belt rings on the primary.
Now with the lower gearing you are in a more efficient part of your clutches at 40 mph, lets call it the sweet spot. You are running in the upper half of your primary. Belt is running closer to the same circumference in each clutch. Much easier for it to upshift or backshift. Now when it backshifts it stays in the 42 degree angle.
The clutch in the pictures have not been cleaned. They were taken after a 100+ mi. weekend of to the pin deep snow, boondocking, hillclimbing. It has the 19-46 gearing. You can see on the clutch where the belt spends most of its time. As you can tell in the picture, it doesn't spend much time at full shift.(road race). I simplified my theory for this post. There is a lot more to it than this. But this is my opinion. There are a lot of happy campers running the 19-46.
I hope they chime in.

photo (2).JPG photo (9).JPG

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
If I'm not mistaken since 2012 BRP has been using 19/49(154) and 19/51(163) and I just read in the latest snowest that for 2014 cat will be running 19/50 in the M's. I wonder if this has anything to do with the increased belt life XP and XM riders have been seeing over the last 2 years and if this will improve cats belt life as well. This really makes me wonder what the reasoning behind why Polaris has such a high gear ratio? Why does a mountain sled have to be geared to do 80mph+, when the only place you will ever get even close to that is on the trail? I browsed through a thread in the turbo section on track speeds and found that most, in decent snow were in the Low to mid 60mph range.
TRS is 46 the biggest bottom gear you can go in a stock chain case? Did you have to change your clutching much for your 19/46?

46 is the largest I can find. I think a 47 would fit easily.
If you are running a 56-40-.36 and the stock spring in the secondary you may need to add a little primary weight. The clutching I am running is considered "off the wall" the dark side. Light springs, progressive helix, and low gearing.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
TRS

Assuming your setup is for the stock driver and stock track?

Curious what your recommendation would be for sea level to 8000'? PM me if you'd prefer not to take this thread off on a tangent.

T G

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2007
Nevada
TRS has had my running gearing like this from 06 (600's) 07 dragons,08,09,10's with a little different clutching (gearing from 19-45 to20-45). Our 11's@12's 800's went to 19-46 had known of several others in the sierra's, and they wont take theirs out either. Know several people that always want to ride against or with my sled (set up by TRS)to see how there's runs. at the same time barrowed mine to put a mark to stop the snow. Now I've changed from his old clutching 56.40.36, to what we(he) installed this year. And not taking it out either love it! but no snow to go play. I've rode with some that claimed
their sleds were untouchable, then barrowed mine to put that high mark. That's a compliment! We use the 19-46 over 18-43 (I believe) was stated 19-46 a little bigger little easer turn believe a little smoother. TRS clutching's on Indydan's long rod by TRS. BTW This works from 0-8000 ft

Premium Features