• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Magnetic Tether for Polaris Snowmobiles

B
Dec 23, 2018
SE Washington
If you are looking for a sealed, trouble free tether for your Polaris snowmobile that just works, will not freeze up, or get snow/ice stuck in it then the Arctic Cat magnetic tether is an excellent choice. I have them on both of my sleds and have put them on many friends sleds.
What you will need:
1). The Tether. Arctic Cat Part number 8639-074 - a GOOGLE search will find the best price - around $50.
2). Adapter wire and connectors (see attached Pictures). The connector for the Arctic Cat tether is a 2 pin connector. The connector for your Polaris depends on what year your sled is. I build the adapter harness for most Polaris snowmobiles as a side job so PM me with your sled info if you would like one. Adapter wires and connectors can also be found on internet or this forum.
2019 Polaris 850 has a two pin DEUTSCH connector ($25 shipped to US). Here is an example install of a different tether but steps for the magnetic tether are the same. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8aMSVPsWeU
2016 - 2019 RMK Axys has a proprietary connector that I have not found but spade connectors can be used to make a secure connection ($20 shipped to US). Here is an example of how that works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM-7UfA_neo
2013 - 2015 RMK PRO can use the same spade connectors as the Axys ($20 shipped to US).​
3). The Arctic Cat tether requires a 1-1/8" hole for mounting. The instructions say 1" hole but the threads are 1-1/8". A unibit or dremel is the easiest way to make the hole.
The adapters and wire I build are about 18" long and use high quality wire, connectors, and loom.

Magnetic_Tether_850.jpg Polaris_850_Connectors.jpg Polaris_Ends.jpg Axys_Center_Install.jpg Axys_Side_Install.jpg

Last edited:

zaasman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2019
Yukon
A plug for Bill here... I picked up this harness from him and ran it on my pro all last season without issue. Well put together with quality wire and sleeving.

Thanks Bill!

ps. I also still see the photos.

Premium Features