• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

11' YZ450F shorter strut rod any good?

A

Adobe-Al

Nov 9, 2008
Montrose,Co
Just installed a 16' kit on my 11' yz450f . The ride feels slightly ski heavy. I'm going to try an adjustable strut rod that is shorter than the fix strut rod that it came with. The 16' are suppose to be lower than pervious models. I'm wondering if anyone else has tried this. It worked well on my 14' and 15' kits.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
It makes them sit lower, but hurts your deep snow performance slightly. I found that If I don't slide my forks all the way down (max height) then it promotes a ski heavy ride. Obviously makes it slightly taller but helps roll the weight back.

It makes them sit lower, but hurts your deep snow performance slightly. I found that If I don't slide my forks all the way down (max height) then it promotes a ski heavy ride. Obviously makes it slightly taller but helps roll the weight back.

Really? I've found the opposite... I started the season with my forks all the way down. The bike felt very ski-heavy and would dart on the trail.

Next trip I raised my forks in the clamps 2 lines (~10 mm) and the bike felt much better. I attributed this to there being a little more weight on the front of the track, and less on the ski.

A

Adobe-Al

Nov 9, 2008
Montrose,Co
Well just got done with fitting a shorter strut ride on my Yz will ride this weekend and report back. I also reduced the rear spring preload by 3 revolutions and the front by 2 revolutions. Going to be riding hard crusty snow.

Premium Features