• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How do your insure your snowbike?

A

Adobe-Al

Nov 9, 2008
Montrose,Co
Getting ready to call my insurance agent and was wondering how to describe this thing. As a dirt bike with accessories or snowmobile ????

Last edited:
F

funjunkie

Nov 26, 2007
I have GEICO and they insured it as a snow bike. I talk to them on the phone for awhile and they checked them out on the internet. The guy said ok said he had to write a new code for it. He did it write there and it was insured as a snow bike. I figured then if something happened and I said well l was up ridding it with a sb kit on it and I crashed. They wouldn't say but you said it was a dirt bike so sorry.

mnsnowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2007
Dayton, Minnesota
I have State Farm and they couldn't find a way of insuring it. I already have insurance on the bike but they don't know how to do the kit. I'll be interested how others have done it.

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
insurance

Adobe-al, initially I met with resistance from insurance contacts regarding a snow bike. I am in Michigan and in the end went with Liberty Mutual. Both Liberty and State Farm would insure it, but as a motorcycle with an accessory kit. Not a snowbike. I insured as an off road motorcycle with track accessory. Hope this helps...

J

JTAB

Nov 26, 2007
Bozeman Montana
www.lientransportation.com
Adobe-al, initially I met with resistance from insurance contacts regarding a snow bike. I am in Michigan and in the end went with Liberty Mutual. Both Liberty and State Farm would insure it, but as a motorcycle with an accessory kit. Not a snowbike. I insured as an off road motorcycle with track accessory. Hope this helps...

Did the same just added accessory insurance to get it covered.

A

Adobe-Al

Nov 9, 2008
Montrose,Co

Thanks, agent is working on it- looks like a dirtbike with accessory

mnsnowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2007
Dayton, Minnesota
Mine is insured as a motorcycle because it is street legal and they said they can't insure as an accessory for the bike. Guess I will have to press them more on the issue.

maineiac

Lifetime Membership
Mar 29, 2008
Maine
Most insurance companies already have certain accessory coverage built in. Mine had $3000 and for $39 added $3000 more.

tillbuilt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Henderson, Co.
After two years and the help of another SnoWest member I finally got my State Farm agent in touch with an agent out west and they are writing the policy now. I stated the values of the bikes, turbo package and track kits for the policy and they are insuring them as snowmobiles. Which is awsome because you can get medical riders on snowmobiles and not motorcycles.

I will post more when they get me the details.

tillbuilt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Henderson, Co.
Here is what my State Farm rep sent me to post.

Toby,

Here at State Farm we can insure most any motorcycle that can be adapted with a “snow track conversion kit”. We insure the bike with conversion kits as a snowmobile instead of a motorcycle. The information needed to insure the bike and the kit at the proper amount of coverage is; year/make/model, VIN, Number of CC’s or HP, and the MSRP of the bike and the conversion kit. We are happy to help any new customers that have had issues finding an insurance company that can insure them properly.

Thank you,

Chuck McGrath

Connie Slater Ins Agency Inc
Phone: (719) 268-9003
Fax: (719) 268-0139
205B West Rockrimmon Blvd; Colo Spgs, CO 80919

How much Life insurance do you need? Click here and find out!

scooter4x40

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2010
Alberta
Insurance

I live in Alberta and have phoned 2 insurance companies and they are at a loss, does anyone know of agency in Alberta? I have the bike insured, but to me the kit is worth more as they are hard to find right now.Thanks

D

DieselTwitch

Dec 23, 2007
Gunnison, Colorado
After two years and the help of another SnoWest member I finally got my State Farm agent in touch with an agent out west and they are writing the policy now. I stated the values of the bikes, turbo package and track kits for the policy and they are insuring them as snowmobiles. Which is awsome because you can get medical riders on snowmobiles and not motorcycles.

I will post more when they get me the details.

What all is included in your policy and how much a month? Is it full coverage? or does it just cover running over xcountry skiers? What about you running into a tree? will they fix it?

T
Mar 9, 2012
I carry full coverage, comp, collision, etc on my two Huskys a 610 supermoto and my 510 snowbike. The snow bike is covered the same way my ohlins suspension is on my supermoto, accessory coverage. I carry $6000 worth. Its covered if I put it into a tree or ravine etc. Cost for both bikes is $250 a year. I use Progressive.

S
Oct 6, 2013
I live in Alberta and have phoned 2 insurance companies and they are at a loss, does anyone know of agency in Alberta? I have the bike insured, but to me the kit is worth more as they are hard to find right now.Thanks

I live in Alberta and got mine insured through Co-operators no problem. This particular agency is in Lacombe.

Premium Features