• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Installation and Review: Yamaha ASCENT Track & AVID drivers

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
but it would be a more honest comparison to swap it out right in the field on the same day in the same location.

I would install the avid drivers first before you make that decision. I have taken the drive shaft out a couple of times... Maybe doing it in a trailer would be ok, if you have the room, but in the field... way too many pieces to lose, especially if you have reverse. Ideally back to back would be best, same day and all, but I don't think that is reasonable.

Maybe a better idea would be find another boosted sled to ride with. Ride with new suspension but stock track and compare to other sled. Next weekend go out again with boosted sled with your new track and compare. That way you have a control sled to compare with, as long as the control sled is reliable and consistent.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Heated Trailer is no problem.

But having never taken off the track, I really don't have any idea how much time is involved in that.

B
Dec 5, 2010
Ive got tack swaps down to 30 -40 minutes but ive down 100 of them but whos counting. I would say give yourself an hour and a half and you should be able to get it done, its really simple actually. Your gonna love the new track, they hook up great!

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
Tell ya what.
If you want to come up and make a day of it with me, then I am game to give it a try.

But that means we have to swap out tracks TWICE in the same day, and I am not sure I am up to that task out in the field, but you might be much more of a mechanic than I am??

I'd be more than happy to come up sometime for a ride, but the closer I get to moving back to the mainland the less it looks like I'm going to be making any long distance trips.

I don't claim to me a master mechanic, but I have swapped the track on my sled. I wouldn't recommend swapping tracks out on the snow. Too many parts, and the reverse/chaincase cover can be a pita to get on correctly. Plus you have gear oil to deal with. 45 minutes is pretty dang fast! I think it took me 30 minutes to get the chain case back together.

I don't think we need scientific results. We (I) would just like to hear your impressions on the old track with all your new mods, and then your impressions with the new track on. Call me crazy, but that is the only way I can think of to do a review since you're boosted and going to the KMOD. The new suspension alone will seriously change your sled, and then add in boost and it changes how you even look at the mountains. It will be a little extra work to do a review this way...but hey you got a free track out of the deal!

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
"In The Field", meant pulling the sled into the trailer in the parking lot and doing the swapout there as opposed to coming home and doing it in the garage.

apex jeff

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2009
columbia falls mt
Okay now, enough talking. I had my new ascent, and avids on my 2010 push nytro 3 weeks ago!!! Guys already riding marston lookout, more snow coming friday night!!!! get that track on and lets go.

apex jeff

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2009
columbia falls mt
Just put 40 miles on my 2010 push nytro yesterday. At higher elevations in almost 2ft of powder I can really feel the difference with the avids and the new ascent. Even at lower preboost RPM this track gets on top way easier than the maverick,it really has a good bite. As far as comparison testing I think there will be enough new Nytros out there with the ascent both N/A an
d boosted, time will tell. Untill then bring on the snow!!

Jeff

2010 Nytro mtx,push,JT boards,GenIIIs,Avids,Ascent,venting and lotsa MPI goodies.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
UPDATE:

The old track and skid are coming off the sled today/tomorrow.

New Track, Drivers, and KMOD will all be installed next week!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Unending delays, the story of my life.
Track and drivers are coming off this evening, and new one will be mounted back on in the next 2-3 days.
Should be ready to ride this weekend if at all possible.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
With a little help from my friends...

Got the Skid out.
Got the track off
Got the Driveshaft removed
Will get the new drivers pressed on tomorrow!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Finally the install begins

I had HELP on this one.

Rexburg Motor Sports was kind enough to loan me one of their Techs "Ryan Grover" to come over and give me a hand on this part of the project.

And our own Slash925 showed up as well to help move things right along as I tried to take a few photos.

AMAZING how fast things can go when you have two people that know what they are doing!

Drain the Chain Case Oil
picture.php

Remove the main brake caliper
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Remove the parking brake caliper

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
With the rotors off the chain case is now exposed.
picture.php

With only a couple thousand miles on it the main rotor looked pretty clean.
picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
At the same time Slash was removing the speed sensor from the opposite side of the sled to release the Drive Shaft.
picture.php

picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Fact is, these two guys were working faster than I was able to stage the photos. So the best I could do was snap away and hope for a few good shots!!

picture.php

Unbolting the chain case.
picture.php

Removing the chain case cover
picture.php

Chain case is off and you can see the reverse gear set exposed.
picture.php

Removing the retaining rings
picture.php

Reverse gear comes off
picture.php

And the main gears are coming off now
picture.php

Premium Features