• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Drop & Roll vs. Extended chaincases

wrtmani

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kalispell, Mt
Okay, thinking of of replacing the stock track on my '97 XLT RMK over the summer with either a 141x2 I already have or a 153x2.25 I just bought. Considering a drop and roll/chaincase swap to get the clearance I need instead of smaller drivers, especially for the 2.25 Camo with a 3" pitch.

I know the D&R is more labor intensive, but is cheaper to do. So far Bentwrench Performance is the only one I've found just surfing the web that still makes a template kit for the Wedge. The Bentwrench kit puts the jackshaft in the tunnel, will I be limited on clearance for the 2.25" paddle and 8-tooth 3.0 drivers, or will I need to go to 7-tooth? I like the idea of being able to use my stock chaincase/ brake assembly with this kit. I believe I also read the XLT case can handle a larger bottom gear, which I will need to gear for the 153, correct?

My other thought was an extended chaincase, either one from a newer model Polaris (like an Edge chaincase from what I've read so far.) Or a modified stock one or a used custom one like the old Tison units if I could find one. I know this route is more expensive, with having to buy the chaincase and gears and templates to match and such. I assume my current brake caliper won't fit, but would I have to change my rotor and say my master cylinder on the bars for a newer caliper as well? I like having only to move only my track shaft instead of both shafts with the D&R. But budget is also a given concern here as well.

I appreciate everyone's input, this will be a big project no matter which way I go, especially for a 14-year-old sled, but it's what I got and it's paid for and I'm pretty partial to the Wedge chassis. Thanks a lot for the help!!

R
Nov 30, 2007
helena, mt
Some careful measuring, you can do a D&R yourself. There are lots of Edge chassis being parted out in swap meet. You would need the chaincase, caliper, gears and chain, and possibly the driveshaft. You might find a driveshaft with the 3.0 drivers already pressed on.

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
Some careful measuring, you can do a D&R yourself. There are lots of Edge chassis being parted out in swap meet. You would need the chaincase, caliper, gears and chain, and possibly the driveshaft. You might find a driveshaft with the 3.0 drivers already pressed on.

You use your stock drive shaft and press the new drivers on. Dont try to use a drive shaft off another sled as the lengths on every single one vary.

As for the chaincase. its stupid easy to do it yourself. I have a Pro X case that I made into a drop and roll case. Extended it 1.5" and did exactly what your looking to do. Put the tunnel in the drive shaft and rolled the drive shaft down.

I ran a few different tracks on it, never a 3" but it would have easily cleared.
The case runs C and C lexane smoke colored cover that I cut on a C & C mill. looks and works great.

I have the case, a whole Pro X brake caliper and master cylinder, The pads in the caliper are almost new... I dont have rotor though, youd want to order a new one anyway. But anyhow Id let it all go for $325 plus shipping.

C

chadkrump

May 26, 2008
Amenia ND
I also am doing a D&R this year on my storm, now the question i have is, do I use the 6.625 chaincase I have now, or upgrade to a 7.050 chaincase that my buddy has the templates and all that for??? and the second question is... does anyone have a 7.050 chaincase they want to get rid of? thanks guys

CK

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
I also am doing a D&R this year on my storm, now the question i have is, do I use the 6.625 chaincase I have now, or upgrade to a 7.050 chaincase that my buddy has the templates and all that for??? and the second question is... does anyone have a 7.050 chaincase they want to get rid of? thanks guys

CK

What sled is the 7.050 off of?

Id do the one with the templates already made. Should be a nice cleaner swap.

C

chadkrump

May 26, 2008
Amenia ND
What sled is the 7.050 off of?

Id do the one with the templates already made. Should be a nice cleaner swap.

all the 97 thru 01 RMK and SKS sleds, 97 thru 01 XC sleds, etc etc... a decent amount of sleds had them... just need to find one now.

CK

S
Jul 7, 2001
Kent WA
I did a Bent-wrench D&R on my 96 XLT. Cooling crap was the biggest issue. bite the bullet and get a u-cooler and be done.

Not sure how much impact the D&R had, because the track being longer and 2" was most likely the biggest improvement, but the sled worked great.

Honestly, in my current level of sled use, I would do the 7 tooth drivers and be done. I did that to my 91 500 and it was easy,peasy and really works great. Again the track making the big difference. Also the 500 is just a kids/friend sled and top notch performance is not needed.

Premium Features