• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

how to change primary spring

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
The primary spring is very easy to change out and no special tools are required. The only thing you need to pay attention to is if you look at the face of the clutch, it will have an "x" stamped on it. Note where this is. Actually turn it up to 12 oclock before you remove the cover. Now after you pulll the cover off, you will see that there is also an "x" stamped on the spider as well. Alsways make sure to line up the "x's" when putting the cover back on. That will keep your clutch in balance. It you do not line them up, your clutch will be out of balance. Once the cover is off, the spring just pulls off and stick the new one on. One more caution, back the 6 bolts out evenly, a couple turns at a time. Same going back in. You want to keep the plate even and not **** it to one side or you risk cracking it.

T

Trenchmaster

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
Is the clutch still on the sled? I ended up damaging the bushing in the cover trying to remove it. It is much easier to do with the clutch removed from the sled. It might be possible to remove the cover with the clutch mounted on the sled if you remove the bolt holding it on to the crank shaft first. On my sled there was not enough clearance to get the cover between the crank shaft and fender with the mounting bolt still in. Your sled might have more room to get it out.

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
Like already stated you can change both the primary spring and the weights right on the buggy but do so with extreme caution as to not hurt yourself or damage your clutch by wedging and leveraging tools. When a leverage tool flies out and pokes out your eye or slams shut pinching the living $hit out your mechanics fingers you'll wish you'd pulled it.

Off course you need a puller and it's a really good idea to have a torque wrench for re-assembly.

It's best to pull....plus you can clean everything up easier. If you don't have a leverage compression tool take a simple cam buckle strap and wrap the clutch so that as you remove the bolts it stays in place then release the tension and slide her off. Two sets of hands are nice when reassembling...get it all lined up...push down by hand while the other person tightens the strap enough to get a good square start. Walla then you can tighten down your bolts safely and without stress.

N
Feb 2, 2008
white rock bc
Like already stated you can change both the primary spring and the weights right on the buggy but do so with extreme caution as to not hurt yourself or damage your clutch by wedging and leveraging tools. When a leverage tool flies out and pokes out your eye or slams shut pinching the living $hit out your mechanics fingers you'll wish you'd pulled it.

Off course you need a puller and it's a really good idea to have a torque wrench for re-assembly.

It's best to pull....plus you can clean everything up easier. If you don't have a leverage compression tool take a simple cam buckle strap and wrap the clutch so that as you remove the bolts it stays in place then release the tension and slide her off. Two sets of hands are nice when reassembling...get it all lined up...push down by hand while the other person tightens the strap enough to get a good square start. Walla then you can tighten down your bolts safely and without stress.
why would i need a leverage tool i thought i would only have to take out the bolts on the clutch plate then put the new spring in and bolt it back down, sorry i have never tried this before! ps lovin the better boards

Premium Features