• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Polaris 850 demo sleds struggling in Norway.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
Thats a great idea! How big of a project... new rails, gearing,
shorten tunnel also??
I agree - cost sucks but being on the right sled makes all the difference!!

- Custom Iceage Bomber Rails that are "tipped up" in the rear.
- New 146x2" track.
- Little bit higher gearing (not sure on what yet).
- MTNTEK 3' tunnel cooler. We can get some very hard snow spring days and I don't want cooling to be an issue if I spend a day on the trail with the family.
- I'll fab up a new rear bumper that will have the snow flap mount built into it.
- Simmons 6" Skis.

This also gives me a great option for a spring time out west sled which is another reason I'm going this way instead of a Pro-X Switchback type sled. Also it gives me a spare sled if I want to take along a new person at times. Lots of positives for me on this method.

Khaotic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
- Custom Iceage Bomber Rails that are "tipped up" in the rear.
- New 146x2" track.
- Little bit higher gearing (not sure on what yet).
- MTNTEK 3' tunnel cooler. We can get some very hard snow spring days and I don't want cooling to be an issue if I spend a day on the trail with the family.
- I'll fab up a new rear bumper that will have the snow flap mount built into it.
- Simmons 6" Skis.

This also gives me a great option for a spring time out west sled which is another reason I'm going this way instead of a Pro-X Switchback type sled. Also it gives me a spare sled if I want to take along a new person at times. Lots of positives for me on this method.

I think you are onto something -- good luck and have fun with your build!!

S
Oct 9, 2012
I Snowchecked a ‘19 850. Rode it ~40 miles & got a call from the dealer requesting I bring it in as they are aware of a crankshaft bearing issue. I took it in today & they confirmed my sled has a crankshaft bearing that is out of position. I had to leave it & they’re saying they are going to replace the motor (tbd).

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I Snowchecked a ‘19 850. Rode it ~40 miles & got a call from the dealer requesting I bring it in as they are aware of a crankshaft bearing issue. I took it in today & they confirmed my sled has a crankshaft bearing that is 1/2” out of position. I had to leave it & they’re saying they are going to replace the motor (at least 3-4 weeks). They also said others are having the same issue.
I called Polaris customer service & they are saying they have opened a case & will get back to me early next week.
I spent over 15k on this thing as configured, I am not happy...

If that's the case, they need to expedite that short block to your dealer ASAP.

nw-sickboy

Premium Member
Feb 12, 2008
Meridian ID
I Snowchecked a ‘19 850. Rode it ~40 miles & got a call from the dealer requesting I bring it in as they are aware of a crankshaft bearing issue. I took it in today & they confirmed my sled has a crankshaft bearing that is 1/2” out of position. I had to leave it & they’re saying they are going to replace the motor (at least 3-4 weeks). They also said others are having the same issue.
I called Polaris customer service & they are saying they have opened a case & will get back to me early next week.

Don’t be surprised when everyone here calls you a liar and it’s probably your fault. If you don’t have the conversation recorded and a notorized statement from your dealer backing up what your saying no one here will believe you. Crazy that no one is holding Polaris accountable for all these fouled plugs on breakin, oil hoses no connected, electrical connections loose etc. everyone here is more mad at the riders for complaining about not getting the sled they reserved 8 months ago than they are at Polaris.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
Don’t be surprised when everyone here calls you a liar and it’s probably your fault. If you don’t have the conversation recorded and a notorized statement from your dealer backing up what your saying no one here will believe you. Crazy that no one is holding Polaris accountable for all these fouled plugs on breakin, oil hoses no connected, electrical connections loose etc. everyone here is more mad at the riders for complaining about not getting the sled they reserved 8 months ago than they are at Polaris.

happy im waiting a year, probably 2 due to an upcoming deployment, for the new 850

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT

It is 1/2 inch out of place, and you were able to put 40 miles on it. Seems remarkable it ran at all.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID

You are very confused or trolling. It is impossible for a bearing on a crank to be 1/2" off of position. And very unlikely that you could take a sled to a dealership and have them tear it down in time for you to post the same day.
I think I just fell for it.......lol.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah

What is crazy is how long Polaris has been building garbage engines, yet how many people will still blindly defend them in the same manner as if you made a pass at their women.

S
Oct 9, 2012
Update: Eric from AMS called to offer me a couple corrections. I had the timeline & details incorrect. Polaris is rushing them an engine and the bearing placement was off by a very small margin.
So, fingers crossed, it appears to be an isolated issue and hopefully I'll have mine back soon.

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
What is crazy is how long Polaris has been building garbage engines, yet how many people will still blindly defend them in the same manner as if you made a pass at their women.

We don't blindly defend them, we ride this piss out of them. They (Polaris) sell the most mountain sleds because a lot of us including the Boondockers crew and thousands of mountain riders who think Polaris is the BEST sled for the type of riding we enjoy most. I'm retired and can buy ANY sled I want
and continue to buy new Poo's because they are my choice of the brands available. All brands have the occasional problem and those puffing their chests that their brand is better than my brand etc.. must have self esteem problems as we do this sport for the great pleasure of it....not so we can knock others about the chosen brand of sled and how it's garbage.
Pick your sled, thank our creator, find a clean canvas and enjoy the beauty of it all. We are fortunate to have incredible mountain sleds to play way high in incredible terrain. JMHO

S
Feb 12, 2008
polaris demo sleds struggling in norway

2008 09 12 13 14 16 17 no blowen mouters voltage regulaters on early ones outher than that no real problems just saying.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I Snowchecked a ‘19 850. Rode it ~40 miles & got a call from the dealer requesting I bring it in as they are aware of a crankshaft bearing issue. I took it in today & they confirmed my sled has a crankshaft bearing that is out of position. I had to leave it & they’re saying they are going to replace the motor (tbd).

Kinda funny how this person was doubted, but after reading Dan's posts in the other thread it's easy to see how that PTO bearing could indeed be placed with 1/2" variance side to side.

I
Jan 11, 2019
Mine works great

Just turned 1,400 k on my indy xc 129 with the patriot 850 and it works first class, on par if not identical fuel and oil consumption as the BRP 850. Now we can argue until we are blue in the face on track length fuel consumption and trail condition etc. At the end of the trip there was 4 BRP 850 1 patriot 1 sidewinder and 1 high country. We all went and all came back and had a blast. What I love about my patriot is that the power is instant and very manageable, it will go as fast or as slow as you give it throttle, it is very proportional. Hope this helps

Cheers

Premium Features