• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mid range noise

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Im not sure if anyone has experienced this, but I have this strange sound at 5000-6000 rpms. If I hold steady throttle in that range, this noise is very evident. Performance is not affected. If I snap the throttle from there and go above 6000, it goes away or if I let off and go below 5000 it goes away.

The only way I can describe the sound is like a tractor type sound or maybe a little like a 4 stroke sounds. I had a bmp Y pipe on it and took it off and put the oem back on. The noise got much quieter but is still there. It is more pronounced the hotter the engine is. In fact, it doesn’t do it if the engine is cool.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
primary clutch maybe?
at 1100 miles, mine is getting noisy. not sure what it is, i suspect the shims on sides of the weights getting a little sloppy, im opening up my clutch cover today.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
I’m pretty confident it is exhaust or intake related, just by the type of sound I’m hearing.
I would agree the primary is sort of noisy on mine as well but I had it gone through about 350 miles ago.

Isn’t this about the range the power valves open up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
I think I’ve found the cause. I have a lot of play between the pipe/flange and Y pipe. That rpm range must be the beginning of some bigger pressure. I’ll try a new flange, new springs and a better seat into the Y pipe. Anything else I’m missing?

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Sounds like springs...they can get loud when hitting natural frequency. Sounds like you are on it...and lay silicone beads onto the springs to give them dampening ability...they'll last much longer that way too and be less prone to breaking/stretching.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
I had a look at the springs this morning and they look a bit stretched. I’ve ordered new and will take that advice on the silicone. Thanks.

Premium Features