• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Installation and Review: Yamaha ASCENT Track & AVID drivers

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Gears and Chain comes off
picture.php

picture.php

Now the bearings come off.
picture.php

Turns out this bearing was going bad.
Had to order in a new one from Yamaha.
So I will be opening up my chaincase ONE MORE TIME in a couple weeks to install the new bearing.
picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
For the first time in several months the sled comes down off the stand is on the floor.

Here ryan is unbolting the skid mount to remove it so we can remove the drive shaft.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

And the last part I couldn't get any photos of because I had to hold the sled over on it's side!!!

My old drivers are now out.
picture.php

And my sled is riding MIGHTY LOOOOOW

picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Day Two.

Today I paid a visit to Rexburg Motor Sports where they did the job of pressing out the drive shaft from the old drivers, and pressing on the new AVID drivers onto the drive shaft.

Drive shaft and old drivers.
picture.php

picture.php

CLEARLY SHOWING SIGNS OF WEAR from my ride in the sand at the end of the season in Island Park.
picture.php

One of the things that surprised me was how careful Ryan was to MEASURE EVERYTHING.

He took every possible measurement from each side and in between to establish exactly where the drive sprockets on the OEM drivers were on the shaft so he could duplicate that precisely with the new drivers.
picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Pressing the drive shaft out from the drivers.
picture.php

picture.php

Indexing the two AVID drivers to each other to make sure they would be aligned properly on the shaft.
picture.php

Rexburg Motor Sports had a little jig they use for supporting the AVID drivers and allowing the drive shaft to be pressed back into place WITHOUT putting any stress on the outside of the drivers.
picture.php

And its time to press in the shaft.
picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
And he measures.
And measures
and measures again!
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

And it's off by 1/8th of an inch, so back onto the press once more for an "adjustment"..
picture.php

Since my sled wasn't at the shop Ryan took the drive shaft out and found another Nytro he could use for a quick alignment test.
picture.php

While this photo makes it "look" like the fingers are out of alingment, that was the shaft not being straight across. The test fit looked very good.
picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
In a couple hours we will install the drive shaft and new drivers back into the sled and attach the new Yamaha Ascent Track!

M

Mister907

Dec 7, 2008
ANCHORAGE ALASKA
wow! so i wonder if i send them an email about what a crappy running board design they had on their 08's theyd send me some air frames or something? but i know better. and if that ascent isnt 110% better track that piecer maverick is, i wont be wasting my $$.
heres what my maverick looked like after the first year. i put it on the stand i made after every ride, and no, its not used for drag racing, and i stay off the trail as much as possible.

Attachments

• 03-20-09_1939.jpg
    03-20-09_1939.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 120
  • 03-20-09_1928.jpg
    03-20-09_1928.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 75

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
That the very same thing I saw on both of my Nytros as well.
And mine were both "standed" between rides as well.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Finally got the sled and the new track out on the snow for the first time this week.

This new track was one of several major mods I did to my sled over the summer/fall.

Right now I have about 75 total miles on the new track.
I have been told I will need at least 300 miles on it before the track "broken" in and begins to settle into it's normal behavior.

Right now I have two days of VERY different behavior.

The biggest problem I have had with my Nytro is the fact that it's a TRENCH MONSTER. I get stuck frequently and have come to love my Hijacker Snowjack as the fastest way to get out of the trench my Maverick track has dug for me.

On Monday I got stuck 3 times from trenching in about 1000 feet of off trail riding. It was UGLY. But the snow was ugly as well, fresh powder on a slab with several feet of sugar beneath it. If I broke through the slab for any reason I was DOOMED and would high center the front end of the sled and trench the tail before I could get off the throttle.

On Saturday it was just the opposite results with nearly the same snow.

Rode all day long off trail and never trenched once!
Not a single stuck all day long.

At this point its just TOO SOON and not nearly enough miles to say WHY I did so much better on the 2nd day.

The track has terrific BITE and TRACTION on the snow, both on the trail and off. NO complaints there. It starts and stops strongly and holds a good bite on the hill going up or stopped going down.

The only odd thing about it is the SNOWSTORM it creates behind the sled. This track THROWS SNOWBALLS like a rooster tail behind a boat!!

Give me a few more rides before I pass judgement on this one. But so far, I am liking it!

xpx5

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2008
south dakota
I have one of these tracks for sale has 500 miles on it some minor lug damage to randome lugs asking 450 it's a 162 also have stock 162 skid with floats

Premium Features