• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rotor Removal

D
Aug 17, 2011
I'm having trouble removing the brake rotor. Does anyone have some tips/suggestions? I've tried heating it and a penetrating lube. Thing won’t budge. Appreciate the input guys.

photo.JPG

D
Aug 17, 2011
can't catch a break

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I tried the gear puller and that didn't work. I actually bent the gear puller arms (it was a cheap one).

I pulled the secondary off and can’t get the bearing off the jackshaft. I unscrewed the bolt in the lock collar and used the gear puller on it. No luck. Any tips on getting it off?

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah
After you loosened the set screw did you twist the lock collar off the bearing? If so, use heat and a hammer.

D
Aug 17, 2011
I tried twisting the lock collar off but whoever installed it put it on the opposite side, so its difficult to get any leverage on it.

Tried another gear puller and it bent the brake (which ok since I'm replacing it with lightweight brake), then the puller broke. This is almost comical. Looks like its time to cut it off. To be continued.....

Idcatman1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, Idaho
You might take the whole motor mount and jackshaft mount off the other side, then you could take the whole works to a press. Sorry my first suggestion didn't work.

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah
You have to get that lock collar off. If it don't spin one way try the other. They can lock either clockwise or counterclockwise.

Premium Features