• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Non ethanol gas question

S

SpencerA

Mar 30, 2010
Portland Oregon
So I have a question about what I should do.

Found 2 non ethanol stations locally
First station has 87 oct for $4.11 gallon
Second station has 91 oct in 5 gallon container for $49.99

For my sled I have to run 20% race fuel so I can just run more race fuel to make up for the oct in the 87 (sorry 10.00 a gallon for non ethanol gas is the same you pay for race fuel around here) That gas station is getting away with highway robbery! But I'm limited to what we have available.

But my wife has a stock 488 motor, do you think her sled will be ok with the 87 oct non ethanol? Or do you have a better idea. Or should I just run premium pump gas?

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
There are some really good threads on ethanol fuel that would help you understand what you want to avoid and what you want. First, it doesn't change the octane rating (87 non ethanol is the same octane as 87 ethanol). I run my Pro with the non ethanol plug and I occasionally mix in 1/2-1 gallon of race. On most stock motors you can lose power by running too much race fuel (not running hot enough). I also use the marine grade fuel treatment to help with condensation and water build up. Elevation also helps a bunch in avoiding detonation. There is a ton to talk about, check out the ethanol threads.

S

SpencerA

Mar 30, 2010
Portland Oregon
There are some really good threads on ethanol fuel that would help you understand what you want to avoid and what you want. First, it doesn't change the octane rating (87 non ethanol is the same octane as 87 ethanol). I run my Pro with the non ethanol plug and I occasionally mix in 1/2-1 gallon of race. On most stock motors you can lose power by running too much race fuel (not running hot enough). I also use the marine grade fuel treatment to help with condensation and water build up. Elevation also helps a bunch in avoiding detonation. There is a ton to talk about, check out the ethanol threads.
Thanks I found some really good info on Ethanol. On my sled Jim at SLP wants me to run the 87 non ethanol and mix 30% race for the elevation I ride and set up.

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
Thanks I found some really good info on Ethanol. On my sled Jim at SLP wants me to run the 87 non ethanol and mix 30% race for the elevation I ride and set up.

Then do that exactly. Dont run the 91 as all your doing is adding cost. You wont make anymore power with 91 over 87.

Does anyone know what Polaris suggeted for Octane on the 488's back in the day? I can't find it anywhere on the web?

That will run fine with 87.

Premium Features