• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How can I shed weight on my XLT

S

SpencerA

Mar 30, 2010
Portland Oregon
I already put a dragon seat and tank on the sled, What are the thrasher hoods I keep hearing people talk about? Also do they make mesh hoods for these older sleds?

Stock hoods are tanks on these sleds, can't imagine how much lighter that would make the sled to eliminate that.

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
Ditch the steel radius and steering rods, and go to aluminum ones, Go to tube style trailing arms. Like others said a lighter hood is another good way, and gauges, head lights. Also gut the belly pan of any and all bracing you can get rid of. Go to an air style springless shock. Ditch the stock seat and tank combo got to a lighter edge style seat and tank.

That will be a good start.

S

SpencerA

Mar 30, 2010
Portland Oregon
When you say tube style arms isn't that what comes on them? Mine are hollow tubes. And for the shocks are you talking about changing to floats? I think I'll leave the steering components because I don't think those weight much to begin with.

slash

Parts Moderator & Chat Box Cop
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 22, 2008
IDAHO FALLS 83404
all trailing arms are tube type the light ones are cromemolly most newer rear skids are much lighter than the stock genI unit and perform much better.

S

SpencerA

Mar 30, 2010
Portland Oregon
I think I'm going to go with a BR Tech Lexen Hood and do without the headlight and instrument panel. That right there would save me around 15lbs

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
You forgot one......................................Hit the gym, and drop a few pounds from the rider.

there are all sorts of places to lose wieght on these sleds. Glad to hear you worked out a new seat and tank option, should of made it much more controlable and lightened it up. I know you've done a few things for wieght, but I'll List a few of the comon ones people swap:

-Light wieght skid(edge skids are lighter)
-Port track
-Plastic ski's(if you still have steelies)
-light wieght alum tie rods and radius rods
-light wight trailing arms(holts has a good design)
-Change hood(br tech makes some I'm personally still looking for my wedge)
-take out the stock headlight(replace with something lighter)
-Remove all stock guages and go with something like a KOSO mounted to the bars
-lose the speedo cable(only a few onces but it might help)
-take a look at your motor mounts and if it's the plate, swap it for the straps
-SLP or modblaster light wieght pipes(more power less weight, win win there)
-There are a few brackets in the engine bay you can get rid of is you get pipes too. (all these brackets amount to maybe a pound or two)
-Like freeride said, lighter shocks(springless or I also thought about looking into titanium springs)
-could make custom bumpers( could lose some weight there)
-swap out to RSI style bars, a bit lighter and will help with rider position
-gut the airbox(or go to pod filters if you don't off trail at all)
-SLP makes a lightwieght brake rotor, but you need thier caliper for it

Those are kinda the big area's I can think of off the top of my head, I have gutted about all the extra wieght out of my XLT as I can. I'm still planning on a new hood, light, and guage set up this summer. But even with my heavy stock hood, my sled feels super light, just from addressing some of those other area's I mentioned. when I mention brackets in the engine bay, that is from my experience, I swapped motors and then put SLP tripple pipes in and wound up not using any of the mounts for the stock exhaust. So I took them all out and took out all the heat flashing and made my own. I am not going to lie and say I saved ALOT of weight there, but the brackes and flashing maybe weighed in at 2 pounds and at a 500-600lb vehicle, every ounce you can take out is a victory!!

I am reminded what the Polaris Engineers said about making the new ProR, It was an ounce by ounce and eventually it added up to serious weight reductions.

Premium Features