• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best M series Aftermarket Bumper Mod?

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
A
Nov 30, 2007
Alberta
Bumper available

I have a Vanamburg bumper off my 07 M1000 162 to sell with an LED tailight, went to a CR Racing tunnel, exchanger and bumper. Best offer, I am in Alberta.

Adrian.

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
Im sorry, but what is wrong with the stock bumper ?

Thanks
c

Stock bumper and cooler hold about 10# of ice in it and sticks out and down to far. Look close at any of the after market bumpers with the '09 cooler and you will notice how bad the stock ('05-'08) set up really is!

J

JasonAK

Dec 5, 2007
I have completed a number of 09 conversions including 09 heat exchanger, LED, flap/bumper, etc. They go together fairly smooth, only two minor issues, first; on 05 to 07 the running board edge grips lack a couple millimeters of matching the holes in the tunnel so some drilling is required, second; the 09 rear heat exchanger employs 2 short hose elbows, these elbows require one leg to be one inch longer to reach the stock exchangers, so a trip to the auto parts store is necessary. Otherwise wiring the taillight is the only other item which is not a direct part replacement. They look great and are very light and strong. Not the cheapest or the easiest (gotta give that to BD Extreme), however the 09 conversion is definitely my vote for the best.

For those thinking of Flattening their own heat exchanger, keep in mind this requires bending and cutting the tubes as well as a likelyhood of minor welding. I found this to be the case while fabricating a few custom rear tunnels last season.

VOLK,

Could you post some pic's of the 07-09 conversion? And maybe a parts list?

Jason

M
Jul 5, 2001
Wyoming
07 to 09

When I do M's ( and My own m 1000) I used 09 parts and parts from BDX

The BDX rear bumper is stronger than the 09 stock.
They both rivet on but the BDX also uses the edge of the tunnel for support.
You not only have to remember towing- but a straight skyward pull when you are trenched in and suspension full of snow;) this is where the BDX shines:D

I have a 09 rear bumper (NEW) MAke Offer- 162 length
( New is $55.00) aluminum color.
The colored ones from cat are cheaper around $29.959 orange and green

Jason AK-

With the conversions we have done here, this is what seems to work best and the MOST cost effect for our customers here in the mountains:

I went with the rear BDX bumper, 09 rear tunnel extension and end cap, BDX supports on tunnel sides on the boot foot hold- 09 rear flap ( trimmed to look no so funky) 09 rear light ( the 4- bar style of lights gets covered with sno-dust and cannot be seen well)-
still used the 07 heat exchanger but tweaked it some. All goes in very well with minor drilling of the 09 tunnel extension for the exchanger side tubes mounting.

Looks unique-and has very straight lines

MD

Last edited:

Perk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Boise, Idaho
LED = Light Emitting Diode.

Can you explain what you mean by using a diode to prevent backfeed? If you put a diode in line with another diode, you just increase the voltage drop.

Last edited:

K.Materi

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Wyoming
A diode is a check valve for electricty. It only lets the current go one way. From my experience you dont need to mess with them on an LED taillight.

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
I did 2 tunnels yesterday using the BDX kit.
My fathers is a 153 snopro nightfire and I used the black bumper kit. The instructions say to trim the bumper as it is cut to lenght for a 162". We did not trim, and let the bumper protude out farther. This allowed us to utilize the stock rear brake light. We recessed it in the rear snoflap, overlapping the top of the tunnel. It looks factory and turned out very nice.

My 162 was done per instructions, except I used rivets in the side bumper supports instead of bolts.
I have an LED light from SLP and will fab up a piece of aluminumg to cover the top part of the tunnel where the snoflap edge is. Cant use the factory light because it hits the bumper.

Both turned out very nice, but the bdx kit and a 153 tunnel is extremely easy to get a factory look out of.

I'll snap some pics.

S
Nov 30, 2007
Fall City, WA
LED = Light Emitting Diode.

Can you explain what you mean by using a diode to prevent backfeed? If you put a diode in line with another diode, you just increase the voltage drop.

I put an SLP LED tail light on my old Rev and I had to put diodes in or I would get backfeed through the tail light wire when I hit the brakes. According to SLP, some sleds need them and some dont, so thats I asked because I bought my first cat this year.

Last edited:
M
Jul 5, 2001
Wyoming
Well if that gas rack dont look like sh it turned sideways Doo.

So does that new Speed Werx can that you bought and cut up your sled so you can blow into your tunnel

Its turned that way so otherwise you might think I din't pack gas for you when you are looking
following me thinking I forgot to pac for you ....;)

pic's of your special order ORANGE cans...PLEASE!!

Last edited:
S
Nov 26, 2007
If you didnt have your BD Box set up so rich all the time you probably wouldnt even need to pack gas. Easy to track you, just follow the black streak in the snow. Scared you are going to blow it up again.:D
1003269qh2.jpg

Premium Features